• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help Transmission Problem

herreraxto

NAXJA Forum User
The problem is the transmission dosent want to change gears it stays on first all the time i havent check the oil fluid on it because i dont have it with me til today i just want to know all the troubleshoutings that i can check

Sorry for my spelling but my first lenguage is spanish

It's hard to make suggestions at this stage, since we don't know what year/engine/trans you have.

If you can give us that info, we will be better equipped to make suggestions.

Rob

Ok, then. If you have the I-6 (4.0 Litre) engine, you'll have the AW-4. If you have a 4-cyl (or a diesel if you're outside the United States), you'll have some other transmission that I don't personally know much about.

For the AW4, here's a couple of ideas:

1. Fluid level and condition. If it's not red and clear, you're probably going to want to have the fluid changed.

2. TCU (transmission control computer). Located at the bottom of the dash below the glove box on U.S. models, check this to ensure that all electrical connections are tight. Also check for a blown fuse (I've never looked for this fuse personally, so I don't know whether the TCU fuse is on the TCU, in the main fuse block on the driver's side, or under the hood - got a service manual of some sort, like Chilton's/Haynes/Jeep FSM?)

3. TPS. Have you been spraying water around under the hood or been blasting through water lately? If so, track down a manual and look for how to check out the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor).

Hopefully this will get you started.

Good luck.

Rob

If the fluid level is OK and the color is good with no burning smell, drive while running through the gears. In 1-2 you should have only first. In 3 you should have only 3rd and in D you should have only 4th. R reverse. If all the positions work then the TCU is likely in limp mode. This can be caused by many different things. (loss of voltage to TCU, faulty solenoid bad TCU.

Check the following link for very good information on trouble shoting problems with the AW4.

http://www.transonline.com/transdigest/magazines/1997-10/Shift Pointers/index.html

Mike

Si usted me manda un PM (el mensaje personal) con su dirección de envío postal, yo tengo el libro del servicio de la fábrica para el transmisión AW-4. Puedo fotocopiar las páginas para la diagnóstica y se los manda a usted.

---------------

If you send me a PM (personal message) with your postal mail address, I have the factory service book for the AW-4 transmission. I can photocopy the pages for diagnostics and send them to you.

Back