• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

radiator leak

awt28

NAXJA Forum User
I have done a search and all I found is overheating. My problem is I have a pin hole leak on the passenger side of my radiator. My question is, has anyone used the stop leak stuff and if so has it caused any problems with the cooling system? It's on a 93 Country with 203,556 miles. I'm going to replace the radiator once I return from the Desert, but I'll be driving it for the next couple of months. I first noticed the leak about a week ago when it almost emptied my radiator. I don't think that it over heated as the temp never got over the next mark above 210. I have been keeping a close eye on it and it's been staying around 210 and has not leaked since then. I'm just trying to nurse it until I leave.

Stop leak stops leaks ... by depositing a gummy substance in the cooling system. In theory the goop is supposed to migrate to the leak. In practice, especially with a small leak, once the leak is stopped by the first bits of goop to arrive, I have to wonder where the rest of it goes?

IMHO, if the leak is small enough that you can survive by watching it and periodically filling the radiator, I'd recommend that. Carry some spare coolant and a can of stop leak as a last resort if the leak gets bigger before you get home.

Back