• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to ID axles

the_chief

NAXJA Forum User
i'm wondering how to ID the axles on my 88 cheif. If anyone knows what came stock, or where to look. also, I'm wondering what gears I have. If anyone knows, or can tell me where to look, that'd be great, thanks a bunch.

dave

As far as i know, there should be a small ID tag bolted under one of the bolts on the cover to the differential, that should tell you the gearing... as for the rest, there are plenty of places on here if you do a search, you can find out how to id your axles, don't be affraqid to use the search function on this site, there is an amazing wealth of information among the users on this forum.

On an 88, unless you had a heavy duty tow package, and possibly even if you did, stock would be a Dana 35c. If it's one of those, you'll see on the webbing at the top of the pumpkin an embossed Dana logo on one side, and a "35c" on the other. There's a remote chance of a Dana 44, whose rear cover is more angular, like a stop sign. If it's a 4.0 with automatic, it's 3.55, and if it's a 4.0 with stick, it's 3.07. I think 2.5's had either 3.73 or 4.10, but I'm not sure how or whether that changed over the years. If it's limited slip, there should be a tag on one of the lower cover bolts.

thanks, i just got down and looked, looks like a dana 35 c. good call. but...where my ratio id should be it looks like a 72.25? wth does that mean?

Nothing.

The ratio tag is usually found on the front differential. To save you from looking, re-read Matthew Currie's post.

Back