• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noobie w/99 XJ window motor problem, wanna help?

naturalbornmudder

NAXJA Forum User
What up? I am NBM, Jeep addict. I run a 97 TJ and a 99 XJ. I am a member of Arctic Offroad. www.arcticoffroad.com.
I am also on an up and coming forum www.jeeps-offroad.com. I am having trouble finding some answers to a common problem.

OK fellas, here is the scoop...

I have my 99 XJ with the window problem where the window will not stay up. I have heard time and again that the power window motor has went out. In this particular case the motor still "run" i.e. makes noise when I hit the button up and down. I have taken the window motor out and bench tested it and it seems to work fine.

My questions are as follows:

1. How does the actual window move up and down the guide track that it rides on?

2. Where the metal motor gear mates into the plastic housing, is there suppose to be a worm gear that somehow drives the attached conduit shafts?

3. In one of the pics, you can see a flex shaft made of metal and covered in a pipe cleaner type of brush material, what is that for? It comes out of the bottom of the plastic housing that the motor sits in.

4. Internally in the window motor, is there a plastic gear that could be stripped?

5. What gear is the infamous "plastic motor gear that Dialmer Chrysler should have never designed"?

6. Anyone know what parts come with the motor when you buy a new one?

7. Where, other than a dealership, can you get a motor assy or any of the related parts?

I could use the help if anyone has the time. I have the door skin apart and I am not going to put her back together till she's right. Nate

Last edited:
Wow, lots of questions. Most of which I cannot answer. I work at a dealer and change those things out all the time. I haven't been interested enough in what failed to take them apart and find out exactly what went wrong. The "pipe cleaner" looking thing is the actual part that gets driven by the motor and raises and lowers the window. Usually this part is hanging out of the bottom of the plastic tube that it runs in. Basically all I do is swap in a new regulator assy. The regulator comes with the motor and is ready to install in the door. It really is easy to change, but make sure to watch out for the sharp sheet metal edges. I got 4 stiches in my wrist when the regulator got stuck in the door while pulling it out. Move the window up in the run channels and use some masking tape to hold it in place until it is time to attach it to the new regulator. Hey, why don't you take yours apart and let us all know what you found was wrong.

Bryan

very cool. Thanks for the quick reply.
I did not know that it all came as one assembly. That makes a lot more sense.
In the essence of time, I won't do too much digging into why the old one will not work. I still need to change the rear opinion seal of the TJ's D35, change the axle seals on the XJ's D30, remount the winch, lift and lock the T, etc. Thanks for the help.

Back