• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No problem; I just have to brag on something.

Churchlady

NAXJA Forum User
I've never seen a defroster in any car of any price that can touch this one ('96) for clearing a fogged-up windshield INSTANTLY! How does it do that, & why can't other car mfrs. make one this good?

In humid weather my dogs steam up a car interior so completely in the few minutes I'm in the grocery store that I've always had to wipe the windshield down w/paper towel & then try to get home before it fogged up again even with the defroster on Hi. Haven't had to do that one time in the Jeep though it's been raining/100% humidity almost constantly since I've had it.

I'm totally impressed with the whole climate system. AC is almost instant (not that I've needed it much yet), and the heat is just perfect. The fan & vents distribute the air so evenly & unobtrusively that it's almost like the difference between a forced-air furnace & hot water baseboard heat.

Now wasn't that a nice break from "running hot" & "leaking seals"?

I am always pleased with how well the Jeeps and the XJ in partucular are done, they are so simple compared to almost any other SUV and probably 99% of the other vehicles out there. I usually end up tweaking one of my customers servers and network at his repair shop a couple of times a week plus he's a friend so I stop in there alot. I watch the other stuff he works on in the shop and compared to the other technical wonders out there like the BMW's, MB's and Minis his mechanics almost fight over any jeeps coming in to be worked on. In the winter it warms up and delivers heat faster than any other vehicle I have ever owned and at almost 200K is the most reliable. I'm not fooling myself, at some point it will do *something* that will drive me nuts but for now it's as nice as the day I got it over 6 years ago but that mainly because I not only do the normal maintenance but do proactive maintenance. I also watch it like a hawk when someone else works on it in any way, shocks or tires which is pretty much the only thing I allow anyone else to do. If I can't stand next to it while they are working I've been known to leave nose marks on the observation window. One really funny thing, I have NEVER met anyone who does NOT like jeeps.

that is why they are called XJ "expermental jeep" in the early 80's the XJ had alot of time, effort, and engery put into it's design. completely new design for jeep.

XJ = "Experimental Jeep" ? Are you makiun that up, or is that the real reason behind the XJ?

no thats where XJ came from, Reuanlt used a super computer (at the time) to design the unibody, super high tech for the late 70's early 80's, one of the few thing the French did good for Jeep.

2offroad said:
no thats where XJ came from, Reuanlt used a super computer (at the time) to design the unibody, super high tech for the late 70's early 80's, one of the few thing the French did good for Jeep.

Sorry, I don't buy that. At the time Jeep was owned by AMC, and AMC had been building unibodies since the early or mid 50s. The unibody on the Cherokee looks in every way like a derivative of the unibodies on my late 60s Javelins and AMXs. Renault was involved in developing the fuel injection system used on the 4.0L engine (but not the engine itself), but the XJ was mostly designed before Renault bought into AMC.

My 95 turns the AC on in the defrost position. this dries the air and makes for a really fast defrost. (if what you are trying to get off the windshield is moisture) I have a Nissan that does not turn the AC on when in defrost position, but when you manually turn it on it works great also. I had an old dodge mini van that would turn the AC on when defrosting, and it worked great too.

JeepinAudiophile said:
XJ = "Experimental Jeep" ? Are you makiun that up, or is that the real reason behind the XJ?

is there anyone else that can confirm this?

Ramsey, My quick research on Google The Good indicates that the prefix "X" for "experimental" was first used by Jaguar in 1946 (the "XJ", they called it--can you believe the nerve?). Since then the X prefix has been used by Rolls & others to indicate a new--"experimental"--direction in design, & I think that's almost has to be the case w/the Cherokee.

i will look and see if i can find one of my mags from back then and see if i can find the story i read.

I just called mountain dew's customer service and they told me that the x stood for extreme.

Cheif, the Dr. Pepper rep says it means Exemplary.

Rich, I'm putting you in my will. Every time my conscience tells me no reasonable person can be as goofy over a car as I am, I show it one of your posts & say "So there".

I'm thinking of composing an "Ode on the XJ". Stay tuned. (You know what really gets me when I look out my upstairs window at it sitting there casting a red glow 50 feet in all directions? Those two exposed black tailgate hinges. What kind of great mind could come up w/a car that's even beautiful on top? I have to work those hinges into my poem.)

Here's a start for you (although being a Church Lady this probably won't be very apropos):

When I look at my hinges
My heart leaps and twinges
My head will unravel
'Less I cease all these binges :gee:

Eagle said:
When I look at my hinges
My heart leaps and twinges
My head will unravel
'Less I cease all these binges :gee:

Nice work...

So if I'm following this thread right; XJ = experimental jeep. Then CJ must mean "Current Jeep", and TJ was the "Trial Jeep", and the YJ is "Yesteryear Jeep". Does that track?

Eagle, you're peerless on tech,
Matchless on anything mech,
But at least as yet
You pose no threat
To Shakespeare. That poem was bleccchh!

This is the best thing I've seen on the various model designations:
http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/misc/models.html.

The link at the bottom to the jeep.com "Heritage" pages is really good. Original ads, timeline, etc.

I gather that while some of the acronyms have an actual meaning (Military, Civilian, Dispatcher, Forward Controls, the rest (esp. later ones) seem to be purely arbitrary. I'm sure there were factory "insiders' " reasons for all of them that we'll never know, but reasonable guesses could be made for some of them. SJ was probably "Station" Jeep ("Soccer Mom" Jeep, in current lingo), VJ (soon after WWII) was probably "Victory Jeep", & XJ could indeed mean "Experimental" since (1) the X had been used in that sense by other makers, (2) it was the first (?) unibody Jeep.

I just did some research on the word Yuppie (young upwardly-mobile professional). It entered the media lexicon in 1984 & was a household word by 1987, the year the YJ, ".... most refined CJ ever in terms of on-road ride and interior comforts...." was introduced.

I'd bet you that's what the Y means.

Churchlady said:
Eagle, you're peerless on tech,
Matchless on anything mech,
But at least as yet
You pose no threat
To Shakespeare. That poem was bleccchh!

Doggerel-R-Us :roll:

Back