• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harmonic balancer removal Q

w_howey

NAXJA Forum User
Went to take the balancer off today. How do you get the motor to stop turning over. There is nowhere to get a prybar in to block it, and the auto tranny doesn't lock out.

You need a puller to get that off. You can rent/borrow one from Autozone.

Matthew Currie said:
Chain type pipe wrench or chain vise grips in the pulley groove.

Okay, run the chain in the groove, and it will jam against the edge of the pan/lower edge of the block and stop the balancer from turning so I can get the bolt out?

Great! I always love to go get new tools for a job!

w_howey said:
Okay, run the chain in the groove, and it will jam against the edge of the pan/lower edge of the block and stop the balancer from turning so I can get the bolt out?

Great! I always love to go get new tools for a job!

Usually if you place it right, you should be able to jam the wrench handle against something - perhaps the frame, or, if necessary, a block of wood strategically placed.

Another possibility is to get a big lead hammer or a mallet (preferably not a big steel one which will bounce and dislodge things, but a soft one with lots of mass - a big dead-blow mallet is perfect for this), and just try hitting the wrench without bothering to hold the pulley. It will often start the bolt loosening before the engine has a chance to start turning. The main problem there is finding room for a good swing, but if you place the wrench with handle down, you can probably hit it sideways from below.

I removed the center bolt w. a trick a mechanic gave me. I used a breaker bar w. a socket and laid the end of the bar against the frame on the proper side of the frame rail such that the rotation of the crank when I blipped the starter briefly would knock the bolt lose like an air hammer gun. Make sure you get the roation issue right first of course. Worked great for me. Then I used a harmonic balancer puller to get the balancer off. I had a puller that fit and did the job without removing the radiator. On the install of the new balancer tap (moderate tap w. small hammer) on the center ring of the balancer around the bolt after every couple of turns of the bolt to reduce tension on the bolt. The next few turns will be easier and you will avoid stripping the crank threads like a few on this forum have done. Make sure you get the right new balancer. They changed them for 99 and new ones IIRC. The new ones will not fit your since they are longer since the internal oil slinger was eliminated IIRC. Good luck. Greg

AZ also has a nifty installer tool that works well. Don't forget to change the timing cover seal with it when you do the HB. Sure beats having to take it back off when it leaks a week later :bawl:

Back