• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fix for light under hood?

azee

NAXJA Forum User
seems like once i touch one thing, something else goes wrong.

newbie xj owner, 89 xj, digging through the owners manual and find that the light in the engine compartment comes equipped with a retractable light and magnetic base. cool! i slowly pull out the light, and yeah baby, smile as the cord magically comes out of the base. i pull it out about 18", then decide i should put it back.

yeah right.

it decides to not retract, so i try to ol' "jerk-the-cord-a-little-and-let-it-catch" trick that everyone does on those auto retracting deals. nope. i succeed in pulling it out even further. hell, one more time should do it.

nope.

so now i've got this damn wire which won't retract, its getting late, and im tired. i unbolt the thing, disconnect the wire, and go inside.

is there a way to fix this? seems like the plastic body is sealed shut with rivets. i'd like to get this thing working again properly, or at least so that there is not 4' of wire hanging around loose in the engine bay.

as usual, thanks in advance.....

Back