• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan Clutch Replacement

wadea7

NAXJA Forum User
I got a new radiator coming in tomorrow and will be installin it this weekend.. I am also planning on replacing the thermostat with a mopar one and the clutch for the fan with an aftermarket one. I've searcdhed the forum and feel pretty comfortable with this job, but when I got off the phone with Napa, I was a little concerned. He stated that I might need a special tool to get the fan/clutch off. Can someone please go through the steps for the removal of the fan and clutch. Thanks..

Wade Allen
1991 Cherokee Laredo
2001 Cherokee Classic

If I remember right when changing out the water pump I had to remove the fan and clutch from the pump. There were only 4 bolts holding it on. That was on my 90 with the 4.0. Pretty easy other than it wants to turn while you turn the bolts.

i did the same as you, new rad, thermo, and fan clutch on an 89. it was a simple remove and replace. hardest part is figuring out to release the tension from the serpintine belt. haynes or chilton will have a step by step procedure.

Thanks.. That's what I was hoping to hear.. I will be picking up a repair manual when I purchase the clutch. The auto guy said they have a special tool for Chevy's and it's a big pita to get the bolts off, but he had no experience with jeeps..

Wade

Compare your fan clutch with the new one first, bet it will be either too long or too short. Car quest carries one that is a match, not sure about NAPA and I KNOW the dealer has the correct depth ones for sure. If you are really going to be doing your own stuff consider laying out the bucks for a factory service manual instead of the cliff notes versions from chiltons and haynes. It is well worth the moeny. Also while at NAPA order Krikit II belt tension gauge for $14 or so. Makes setting the belt tension much more accurate than the 'that feels right' method....

I just replaced my clutch last night as well as the tstat. I shelled over the greenbacks for a steelership clutch, perfect replacement, on my 93 there are 4 nuts holding the assembly to the engine as stated above and 4 bolts holding the fan blades to the clutch itself. you can use two wrenches, holding it still with a wrench on one nut while breaking another loose, then be sure to rotate because you will tighten the one and make it harder to get off. wratchet wrenches are your friend here. I left the belt and pully on, helps with removing the nuts a little bit but it will still want to move. I still need to pick up one of those Krikit II's. New Modine radiator goes in tonight!

I'm still trying to decide if I want to replace the waterpump while I'm there.. Decisions.. Decisions.. The mopar fan clutch was over $100.. compared to $45 at Napa.. I do plan on removing it and taking it to Napa/Oreilly/Autozone (less than one block away from each other) to verify size.

Thanks for the info..

Wade

Ditto what Rich P said. The Kriket II is worth it's weight in gold. I also get my fan clutch at carquest.

I take it you are changing the items on the 91 XJ not the 2001 XJ.

I am the type who changes radiator hoses, heater hoses, fan belts, and radiator cap every 4 years. I recommend you do the same. I use a goodyear belt, Dealer hoses and the cap that comes with me new pressure reservoir. your 91 is the "open" cooling system so no pressure bottle for you! I'd also install a new thermostat, I get that at the dealer also.

While I have the belt off I'd change the idle pulleies as a preventive measure, you know the one by the AC compressor. For my 88 XJ the "new" belt tension is 180-200 lbs. Put the kriket II on the section of belt between the idle pulley and the power steering pump, that the right location to take the measurement. For a used belt it is 140-160 lbs, used is a belt with more than 15 minutes of use.

Just do every job you can think of while you have the radiator out. Also use distilled water when refilling. It avoids problem and at 80 cents a gallon what 3-5 bucks to flush an fill with distilled. I also use the craigh method of refilling - point the XJ down hill if possible, pull the temp sensor out of the head, fill with coolant/water until it comes of out of the temp sensor hole, replace sensor.

I also found with just water in the block after flushing I'll pour in 6 quarts of full strength coolant then pour in water to bring it to full. It is published the cooling system capacity is 12 quarts. If you do it this way then you will have a 50/50 mix.

It's my 1991.. I need to find a hill.. Kinda hard living on the Gulf Coast.. That is some great advice! I really appreciate all of it..

Wade

While were on the subject of fan clutches-got new Ac-Delco clutch unit today.Compaired to an old Imperal unit i have and they were almost identical.Same height,fin style and spaceing,same thermal spring design ,both made in the USA.Both Reverse rotation.
Part # AC-Delco 15-80287 my cost was less than $50
Imperal 215149 Don,t remember has been off for several years
HTH-FYI
Wayne

tjl1388 said:
Do you have to take the radiator out to replace the fan clutch on a 93 4.0?

No, but with the radiator out you can get that pesky fan shroud out of the way, it's best if your swapping both at the same time. Otherwise you still have to work between the fan blades and the engine so taking out the rad just for the clutch isn't worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjl1388
Do you have to take the radiator out to replace the fan clutch on a 93 4.0?

No, but with the radiator out you can get that pesky fan shroud out of the way, it's best if your swapping both at the same time. Otherwise you still have to work between the fan blades and the engine so taking out the rad just for the clutch isn't worth it.

I was actually able to get the fan shroud off after I removed the flat peice of metal that I guess hold the rad. in. My wife refused to let me buy a new fan clutch, so rather that her blow up my ride, I took it all apart and told her she can't drive it untill she bought me a fan clutch.....HA!!

Long....story, concerning the fact that I bought my 88 XJ and two week later bought my much bigger 93 XJ and told her I would sell the 88(anybody need one?) That was 2-3 months ago and I have been pouring money into the Jeep addiction. I just finally hit her breaking point when it comes to spending on the Jeep. Trust me the pair are just fine. I love my Jeep, but I don't have to sleep next to it or receive "other things" from it.

And oh bye the way, I bought the fan clutch today.....she likes to drive my jeep as much as I do.

Finished! And that Kriket2 is the best.. Had to use it twice.. Replaced the thermostat, watepump, fan clutch, serpentine belt and radiator. Not too bad of a job, but will be able to do it better next time. I ended up bending some of the radiator fins while trying to get the fan shroud on.. Ended up taking off the fan clutch to get it on, but then the serpentine belt caused the fan roller to shift causing me to loosen up the powersteering again and readjust. Never easy the first time.. But, I just ran it and no leaks yet and temp is at 210... We'll see how it works throughout the week.. Thanks for all the advice.. My 2001 Cherokee must be jealous.. It through a check engine light at me yesterday.. Went to autozone and it's a mass air leak in the fuel system.. Of to go troubleshoot that.. The retightening of the gas cap didn't seem to help..

Thermostat - Mopar
Radiator - 3 row Modine 800-radiator
Waterpump - Autozone New
fan clutch - Autozone
Gator Belt - Autozone
Hoses and Kriket2 - Napa
Headache - O'Reilly

Wade

Back