• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who puts together the best long-block stroker?

I have been looking at strokers and i can tell some differences, but im no engine mechanic! Has anyone had experiences with accurate power, jakes racing, hesco? I'm looking for some personal experiences with these companies from build techniques, warranties, follow up service, etc. Which company would you "Qualified" gear heads out there trust to build your 4.6 long block stroker?

Hesco have been building strokers for longer than the others so they're very good at it, but unfortunately they're very very pricey.
JRE have a very good reputation as far as engine building goes but they're new to Jeep strokers so build quality is still unknown. Cheaper than Hesco and they use quality components, but longblock stroker still expensive at $4600.
Stay away from Accurate Power's longblock strokers. I know of at least two that went belly up after just 12k miles and AP don't warranty them either. If you're unlucky enough to get a dud, kiss goodbye to $4600.
Golen's Engine Service and Custom Design Performance offer 4.6L stroker longblocks for $3300 that come with a limited warranty. If you don't want to build your own stroker engine, either of these may be the way to go.

Any competent machine shop can build you a long block. You just give them the crank, rods, and block. Then have them tell you how much they are going to have to bore it. You can then either have them order the pistons and rings, or get them yourself. You need to tell them how much to deck the block as well.

There is no difference in building a stroker block than any other block other than having the block decked.

I found a crank and rods from a local yard for $100. I ordered the H802CP pistons for around $18 each. Make sure and get the matching rings as stock rings don't work. I am running the Crane low rpm cam. My machine shop bill ran $1100 and included the rebuild kit w/gaskets and bearings as well as a full valve job and valve sleeves. Of this cost, roughly $300 was the labor to assemble the block. They would only warranty the long block if they put it together. Also included in the $1100 was roughly $130 to deck the block .025.

Well thanks for the information guys. As for sending it to a local shop...I'm looking to buy a long block because i can't afford to pull my engine, have it sent out, checked, worked, built, and then re-install it. I want this engine to be PERFECT, including it's ability to take a supercharger when I can afford it. ...pipe dreams... Anyways, thanks for your input...

I have an ACCURATE POWER short block and haven't had any problems with it. I was one of AP's first motors, also i have well over 30k on the motor, again with no problems. I did have a couple of odd problems that had nothing to do with Mike's machine work and he helped me solve the problems i had.

HTH
STROKER

Last edited:
STROKER said:
I have an ACCURATE POWER short block and haven't had any problems with it. I was one of AP's first motors, also i have well over 30k on the motor, again with no problems.

I'm glad to hear that and I sincerely hope it stays that way. God forbid if your engine did decide to expire prematurely, you'd basically be screwed because AP don't offer a warranty and Mike definitely won't help you there.

If you can't afford to have the vehicle down for a period of time, you should be able to find a used 4.0 that needs an overhaul for around $100 or less. That way you can do everything on that engine and when you do your swap, sell your old engine. I took a year to build my stroker. I was running a 2.5L and got a 4.0L engine from a donor and started watching for deals on parts out of my spare cash. The engine was complete with headers and accessories when I went to slip it in. It sure made a difference in the amount of work.

old_man said:
If you can't afford to have the vehicle down for a period of time, you should be able to find a used 4.0 that needs an overhaul for around $100 or less. That way you can do everything on that engine and when you do your swap, sell your old engine.

That's exactly what I'm doing. I've been working on my stroker project for about four months and it should be ready to install in another two. Here's my write up:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/stroker.html

I plan to sell my old 4.0 once the stroker is in and running perfectly. Then again, I may decide to keep it and build another stroker. :D

Back