• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition Switch Conversion

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'd like to upgrade my 90 Cherokees ignition switch to the newer one that takes the trapezoid key.(what is that like 91 Cherokees and after i think) Anyway wondering if a new one would just bolt on up or if mods are needed. Thanks for any info.

I think the best thing to do is call or visit a lock smith. They should know what lock cylinders fit specific columns. They may even do the job for you for less than you since they already own the special tools.

Other than "looks" why would you want to change the style of key? The head you want is it one of those cut on both sides keys or only cut on one side. If it a double cut key they are you willing to spend the $$ to change your door locks to make the conversion complete?

Unless the lock cylinder is worn out i'd leave it alone. The key you have has a lot of history behind it. That key blank has roots back to American motors corporation. Yes it looks like a GM key but it the "J" key only used on Jeeps.

I'd leave it alone and replace something more important like motor mounts or suspension bushings, those will make your XJ a better vehicle. A better ride or less vibration as I drive would be a better use of your time.

Thats probably good advice. I wasnt planning to do anything major to it just the ignition but the only reason i was doing it was looks. Yeah I definitely have better things to spend the cash on though. It's not the #1. Thanks again.

Alright well the time has come that I rethought my last comment here. I have an offer from a friend to get me the ignition switch and the door locks and glove box and liftgate locks for a cheap amount of money. They do have the newer style ignition switch so I would need help converting the switches. Has anyone done it? Again taking it from my 1990s ignition switch to the later model ones. (like 1992 and after I think) I may take Martin's initial advice and visit a locksmith as well, but Id like to know if anyone here has done it.
Thanks,
Collin

Back