• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust Manifold

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My 90 4.0L has a bad exhaust manifold. Im looking at replacing it its gettin pretty embarrassing. Where is the best place to get one that will not crack like those darn stock ones. I looked at A1 Auto on ebay they have one thats not too shabby, but if you guys have better ideas I'd be open for suggestions. Thanks

Personally if mine cracked(which I hope it will) it will give me all the more reason to go to a Banks/Borla header instead. I believe one of them has like a million mile warranty so you wouldn't have to worry about it :D

- Kevin

If that is the stainless one for 150 or so, I had it for a few months last year. It doesn't have a straight edge one on the flange. I sent it back to only get another one that was the same way. So I went to the bone yard and got a used one that wasn't cracked. If you looking for something that will last, try Borla or Banks depending on what year you have. Unless A1 Auto has changed their quality than it will only leak a few months after you put it on. Just want happened to me. Juice

Thanks for the warning yeah I will probably just yard it instead. If its not gonna fit right theres no point in getting it. Thanks again.

I was at a jeep place (Republic Jeep, Denver) getting a used a MAP sensor. These guys have lotsa parts (told me he had like 3-400 in Hudson,CO). Anyway, I asked him if I could get a used Borla/Banks from him and he told me the best thing to do is just weld up the old one and put it back on. I've read on other threads that there is a performance gain, but he told me the gain wasn't worth the money.
That and the added heat from Borla/Banks headers have made me decide to follow his advice- once welded, it wont crack again. Just my $.002

Somewhere around, 90 or so, an OEM replacement header became available, with almost double the wall thickness of the earlier models. Don´t really know, if it was being improved or they were using multiple suppliers. The double wall thickness model, still cracks on occasion, but about half as often and half as much. Don´t really know, if any of the thin walled variety are still in the system or not, haven´t bought a replacement, since going to the thicker walled variety. But have occasionally, silversoldered (brazed) some very small cracks.
Brazing seems to hold up better on small cracks, seems to take expansion and contraction better than straight welds. If welding, it works better, if possible, to spot weld on the vehicle, to avoid warpage. If you weld with a wire welder, spraying with water while your welding (use an old window cleaner pump sprayer) will help reduce heat problems and warpage.

the newer aftermarket replacements also have an accordian piece where they normally crack allowing it to expand with head, and cool off so that the manifold doesn't take all of the pressure. Brock used to carry them.

Back