• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help wiring overhead console

Blair Williams

NAXJA Forum User
We've got the FSM wiring diagram but we need DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS on how to do the following:

Wire up overhead console from a 92 xj into a 90 xj pioneer that previously didnt have an overhead console. We've got one plug in that controls the lights, but the temp/compass module doesn't work. Exactly which wires must be connected, what color are they, and what must they connect to for the unit to power up. The keyless entry and temp. sender wires are of no concern (unless they are required for the unit to power up).

We have 2 plugs that aren't plugged in, the small six-wire red plug, and the larger black six-wire plug. I know most of you guys have done this, can any of you tell us what's what in english? The FSM is pretty vague.

Please help quickly, we're getting desperate.

Sorry, I can't be of much help, but I am trying to do the same as you. I think I was the one who sent you the wiring diagrams.

Where did you find the red six wire plug in your '90? I have a '90 Pioneer as well, and I'm trying to put an overhead console in, but I don't see that red plug anywhere.

Also, did you have the complete harness (from console to under the dash), or are you making your own?

Thanks

OK heres how mine is wired. I didnt have the plugs in my kick panel, so i ran all the wires to their respective locations with 18AWG wire.

The two Pink wires (pins 5 and 6) on the harness from the console are 12V+ power wires. These two are connected to a constant,non-switched power source.
The black wire (pin 4) is ground and the black wire with a green stripe (pin 2) is compass ground. These two wires must be connected to a grounding point somewhere on the vehicle. The white/black (pin 13) wire is for switched power so run it to a switched power source on your vehicle. The purple/green wire (pin 10) and the black/blue (pin 11) wire are for the temp sensor that goes behind the bumper. The yellow wire (pin 12 is the ground wire for the dome lights. so i spliced it to the black wire i had that ran to the original dome light. The other wires are for the dimmer function and i didnt bother with them. Hope some of this makes sense and helps.

Mike

On a sort of unrelated subject, which pin is pin #1, pin #2, pin #3, etc. My 13 pin connector has different wire colors than the ones I've heard normally described.

With the side of the connector that you insert the wires in facing you, and the small "lip" of the connector on the top right hand side, where is pin #1? From the way I described the connector to you, would pin 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc run right to left? Or am i holding it upside down, and they run left to right, only now the row of 7 pins are on top.

If you look at the wiring diagrams in the FSM, you will notice that they contradict themself in the order they show the pins, and which pin spots do not have any wire. I'll I need to know is where pin#1 is.

Thanks

If you pull the plug out of the computer, and look straight at the end of it with the holes facing you and the wires facing away from you, and with the standoff facing top/left the pin numbers are from left to right( 1 2 3 4 5 6) on the top row and (7 8 9 10 11 12 13) on the bottom row. The white/black wire is on pin 13 or at the absolute bottom right.

Mike

No prob. happy i can help with all my hardcore console knowledge. i feel like going mall crawling now. :D

Mike

Thanks a lot guys! This will be a lot of help.Trying to do the same as all of you and am struggling a whole lot trying to wire this stuff.

For pins 5 and 6, the non switched constant 12 volt pins, I had planned to use the power line for my IR keyless entry which is already up there.

Will it be OK to splice both pin 5 and 6 into this pre established wire? Despite two years of CCNA training, I'm still not great with electricity.
smiley_freak.gif

Hey backdraft what constant non-switched 12v+ did you connect your pink wires to? Those are the only ones I'm having trouble figuring out. Thanks and please help ASAP.

Hey 90Pioneer I didn't have the red six wire plug the only one I have is the one to power the dome lights. That plugged right in its just the wire harness i pulled from the old junkyard had two plugs that im gonna have to hardwire in and the one that just plugs right in. Looks like this is a longer process than i thought it would be. If you get yours wired up tell me where you wired the pink wires into though because I'm struggling with finding a constant non-switched power source. The only thing I can think of is maybe the clock?Splice that? I dont know but we're in the same boat it looks like.

Can you guys help me asap here. Suppose to be takin the old Xj out of town tomorrow and need to get the console up. Backdraft, what is AWG wire? is that 18 gauge? Also I cannot figure out anywhere to wire those pink wires to a constant 12 volt power source. HELP PLEASE.

If your XJ has keyless entry, or if it is even wired for it, then you should already have a non switched power source up there. Worst comes to worse, take a test light to your fuse box, find one that isn't switched, and run the wire from that.

I just got my console back from the upholsters today, and probably wont be installing it for a couple more days. I'm still debating on whether or not I want to re do my headlighter.

Since on one answered my last question in this thread, I'm assuming it's fine to hook both the pink wires up to that one non switched IR keyless line.

Hope this helps

BTW, what do you mean, dome light connector? The front and rear dome lights on my console are wired together, and then has a plug from that harness going into the "computer" in the console. I am assuming my dome lights will be working fine, once I get that 13 pin connector wired up. I don't see any other way they would be hooked up?

Ok well what I mean by dome light connector is I tore apart my lower dash panel and looked at the wires down there and when you get there you will find the dome light connector. What it is, is a plug that will plug into one of your 3 plugs, if you got the harness. Then you dont have to worry about hardwiring the dome lights, just the compass/temp. module. I would definitely redo the headliner. Mine was getting to the point where even with the windows up it would touch my head so I got it redone for about 50 bucks. Check Around. Collin

What kind of wire did you guys use for a switched power??
Also......
When we touch one of the non-switched 12v pink wires to a 12v source it causes the dome light fuse to blow.

Yes, you can wire the two pink wires to the same 12V power source. I wired it to an unswitched source at the fuse panel. Mine just happen to be the aftermarket power doorlocks that were installed by previous owner. The aftermarket locks didnt work anymore so i canned them, but used the power wire for the OHC. Also the acronym AWG means American Wire Gauge so 18AWG is just 18 gauge wire

Splicing the two 12V power wires to your IR reciever power wire shouldnt be a problem as long as its a fused non-switched power source.

If your considering refinishing your headliner, DO IT. And it isnt hard at all to tackle. Just get some headliner material to match your interior. IIRC i paid about $20 for it, and get a can of 3M headliner adhesive. Take out your headliner, brush off all the old foam thats still stuck to the hardboard and spray the glue on and stretch the material out on to it. Only do about a foot or two at a time and itll go really smoothly. Just be sure to wrap the headliner around the edges to finish it out and glue the wraps on the backside tight as well.

As far as your dome light fuse blowing, the only thing i can think of is its shorting somewhere when you hook it up or its just plain overloading the fuse to the failure point. My computer power wires arent spliced to the dome light power, but the ground wire to turn them on and off is spliced to the dome light ground. Since there are two pink power wires, ist possible that one is computer power and the other is dome light power, but dont quote me on it.

I just simply wired my power wires to a heavier fused non switched circuit on the fuse panel.

HTH

Mike

In case you guys haven't noticed me and jeepguy1990 are wiring up the same console (in his jeep) but anyways we are getting the power for the compass/temp unit from the dome light circuit which had a 10 amp fuse in it, which it blew every time we connected the power. From what I'm hearing, though, we need to wire it to a different circuit that can handle the greater amount of power, but since this one has no wiring for power doors or anything like that where would we find a suitable circuit?

From what I'm hearing we can find suitable power sources on the left dash area, so I take it most of you who have done this have simply run your wiring from the OHC to the left dash instead of the passenger like one that came stock with an OHC? We've been trying to find a power circuit from the right dash because we naturally assumed because that's where it was plugged into when we got it that it would be the same in this jeep. In light of these new events I think we might actually have a chance to get this thing working if we run it down to the other side. Hmmmmm.....

Thanks for everybody's help, btw.

Back