• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

so what is she trying to say?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
article

"You know, at our concerts this year we have to have metal detectors, and to me that's just crazy," she said. "But we have to take those precautions because this thing has gotten so out of control."

Is she trying to imply that Bush and current administartion is to blame for that?

Kejtar
P.S. Nice picture :) :)

Not sure, but one thing is for sure, they, their agents and others on their music gravy train sure got their wallets hit. Remains to be seen how many show up for their concerts. As for the pics, dunno bout that, nice skin.

Photochop no doubt

I think Ted Nugent is one of the only true celebrities that dares to speak for the common man.

Some folks equate rich & famous with wise & learned...WTF do most bring to the table, besides some musical or other talent and $ x 10 factor that allows them a mouthpiece & protection. The Dixie Chix wouldn't have talked that crap unaccompanied on any sidewalk in Robbins NC. Same goes to our 'perennial' Presidential cantidates...why do they merit Secret Service protection detail$ while the common folks lack health insurance for their kids and fawks want to disarm their households?

Just an ordinary rant...sorry ;)

woody said:
Some folks equate rich & famous with wise & learned...WTF do most bring to the table, (?)
No need to appologize for your rant woody, not only are you exercising your free speech within the rules of this forum, you're absolutley right-on...

The following excerpts are stolen from somewhere - I have the author's name recorded as "Cindy Osborne", but I believe that it talks directly to your inferred question:
WTF do these folks bring to the table ??

So who are these celebrities? What is their education? What is their
experience in affairs of State or in National Security? While I will defend
to the death their right to express their opinions, I think that if they
are going to call into question the intelligence of our leaders, we should
also have all the facts on their educations and background:

Barbra Streisand : Completed high school
Career: Singing and acting

Cher: Dropped out of school in 9th grade.
Career: Singing and acting

Martin Sheen Flunked exam to enter University of Dayton.
Career: Acting

Jessica Lange Dropped out college mid-freshman year.

Alec Baldwin Dropped out of George Washington U. after scandal

Julia Roberts Completed high school

Sean Penn Completed High school

Susan Sarandon Degree in Drama from Catholic University of America
in Washington, D.C.

Ed Asner Completed High school

George Clooney Dropped out of University of Kentucky

Michael Moore Dropped out first year University of Michigan.
Career: Movie Director

Sarah Jessica Parker: Completed High School

Jennifer Anniston: Completed High School

Mike Farrell Completed High school

Janeane Garofelo Dropped out of College.
Career: Stand up comedienne

Larry Hagman Attended Bard College for one year.

The ultimate irony is that many of these celebrities have made a shambles of their own lives, with drug abuse, alcoholism, numerous marriages and divorces, scrapes with the law, publicized temper tantrums, etc. How dare they pretend to know what is best for an entire nation! What is even more bizarre is how many people in this country will listen and accept their views, simply because they liked them in a certain movie, or have fond memories of an old television sitcom!

Interesting thought though... Is this an issue with the citizenry of the USA's willingness to listen to and accredit the thoughts of a 'celebrity', or another mis-placement of undue attention by the media presenting it to the populus? (Which came first, the mass interest in these ladies' thoughts, or the coverage of their thoughts -- the chicken or the egg?)

My rant -- Vote and particiapte. If you don't like where you are, move to someplace better.

It sounds to me like many of these people would lay-still on a hot stove and bitch about it!

who the fawk cares....

shes a dixie chick...

how can you take ANYTHING that comes out of their mouths seriously?

Garycoleman.jpg

I'll stir this pot.

1. Freedom isn't Free and now it's costing the Dixie Chicks in the pocket book. The two sisters are going down because of the one in the middle, should have distance themselves from her immediately.
2. Dixie Chicks forgot their market, country and western music lovers, generally cut from the more patriotic bolt of cloth.
3. The Dixie Chicks thing will blow over and they'll recover ala Hanoi Jane selling work out videos and oscar nominee for "9 to 5"
4. Ronald Reagan was an actor before being President.
5. George Bush was an addict.

but who care's Willis?

You forgot Wild Willy porked the fat girl, lied about it to the grand jury, was convicted, and didn't even get the nasty letter!

w_howey said:
What she is trying to say, without actually apolgizing is: Buy our records and tickets, PLEASE!

No, what she is saying is "Okay, you don't have to agree with our position, but you shouldn't be threatening us with physical harm because of it."

There was a time in this country when the operational philosophy was "I do not agree with your statement but I will defend unto the death your right to make it." Unfortunately, the current operational philosophy seems more like the Jesuits and the Spanish inquisition (remember "In order to save your soul I must kill you"?) -- "I do not agree with your statement, therefore you are a worthless POS and I am justified in killing you or maiming you in various unspeakable ways."

Just as we do not tolerate personal attacks on the NAXJA forums, we should not tolerate personal attacks or threats thereof "out there" in the real world. If people want to vote with their wallets and boycott the DCs, that's fine (their music generally sucks anyway, so I can't understand why this is such a big deal), but they should not be receiving threats. Even from Beezil.

I still say that there is a major malfunction in that we allow "celebrities" (whose only real claim to fame anymore is have entirely more money than is healthy...) to hold such sway over public opinion. Oddly enough, tho, I don't blame the celebs - I'm more wroth with the people ("sheeple?") who think these people know what they're talking about!

This points up the "dumbing down" of modern America - there are fewer and fewer people who are willing to think for themselves anymore, and the media celebrities know less than even they think they do!

I spend most of my time interacting with the public at large trying to educate them on thinking for themselves, and I think I'm making some small progress. Uphill work, tho...

5-90

I have to disagree with Eagle to a point ..... the generalization of if I don't agree with you or your opinion that you're a "worthless POS......" .In the case of the Dixie Chicks they shold have stated their opinion,accepted the fact that they hit a nerve. If they were staunch believers in their cause, stand behind their statement whatever the cost. Don't waver becuase 1. They (Maines doesn't know what the HELL she's talking about .2. She doesn't posess the personal integrity to realize as ignorance is an equal opportunity provider. and 3. Most Americans present at the England concert were probably American Armed Forces stationed in the immediate area. And while the media and Hollywood might have opposed the war in general the fighting force of this nation back their COMMANDER IN CHIEF.The attitude prior to 9/11 was what the mainstream media and celebrities in general supported and it you didn't agree than something was wrong with you (outcast). No body should have there opinion pushed not because they contain merit but because "I PLAYED ONE ON TV".
As for the DC's, never cared for their music, and the statement from Maines is proof that wisdom, money, and popularity are elusive at best with your brain in neutral. As for Death Threats and metal detectors I doubt the threats just started (no ....not because their music), There are some nuts out there. And the metal detectors were utilized "last year", why .... is the president going to attack the DC or are they there to minimize a threat of terrorism ,....foreign or domestic.

Last edited:
Eagle,
You seem to be assuming that those few nut cases that are threatening the DCs are representing the general public. In a large population of people, there always have been and always will be a few wackos. Anything straying from the norm usually gets more attention. As for the rest of us, most of us just will choose to never buy the DCs music or ever take them seriously again and they will just have to deal with it.

I'm not assuming anything -- I was simply translating what she said for those who asked to have it translated.

once again:

shes a dixie chick.

who gives a fawk what she said....

why do people listen so closely to dumbasses?

just cause their famous, doesn't make em intellegent, or worth listening to.

Eagle, this is what you said:

There was a time in this country when the operational philosophy was "I do not agree with your statement but I will defend unto the death your right to make it." Unfortunately, the current operational philosophy seems more like the Jesuits and the Spanish inquisition (remember "In order to save your soul I must kill you"?) -- "I do not agree with your statement, therefore you are a worthless POS and I am justified in killing you or maiming you in various unspeakable ways."

You are assuming that the "current operational philosophy" is that everyone wants to harm them. Are you plotting to hurt them right now? More than likely not. I know I'm not.

VicXJnNC said:
If they were staunch believers in their cause, stand behind their statement whatever the cost. Don't waver becuase 1. They (Maines doesn't know what the HELL she's talking about .2. She doesn't posess the personal integrity to realize as ignorance is an equal opportunity provider. and 3. Most Americans present at the England concert were probably American Armed Forces stationed in the immediate area.

You overestimate Ms. Maines (IMO). The Wife and I watched the interview (the Wife is a DC fan) and both came to the conclusion that Ms. Maines never understood the reasons for the Iraq war (and probably never will).

She also may (I'll offer her a doubt) never realize her comment was probably greatly influenced by the commercial news service reports she was exposed to before the concert. At one point she mentioned the generous coverage granted to the anti-war (anti-Bush) demonstrations presented on CNN (and ABC quickly applied an edit).

When you are out of the USA, and on the go, it is difficult to get unbiased information (even CNN can appear unbiased compared to other countries socialized and state owned news services). Ms. Maines appeared on the edge of recognizing her comment was influenced by the biased media reports she experienced before the concert, and failed (and maybe she did recognize the misdirection of fact regarding the USA's favorable public opinion about Bush, leading to her statement, but ABC edited it out).

Ms. Maines is probably not that cognizant of how she was manipulated by the media. Unfortunately, to admit the misdirection now would further expose her ignorance, and she does not have the personal charactor to own up to admit the ignorance (even if she is better informed today, and even if it would restore a favorable opinion with her fans).

I seriously doubt the mainstream media will allow confirmation that the time allocated to reporting events like anti-Bush demonstrations (and the editing that can make fifty demontrators look like 50,000) can have this style of influence on an individual. I also doubt the media would allow it to be reported (the skillfull editing in the interview of Ms. Maines in mid-sentance is one example). The media would rather portray Ms. Maines as an idiot (fairly, if you will) rather than expose she is merely a sheeple pawn of thier own agenda (IMO).

I say, let her sing.

Back