• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Maint required

jeeptime1

NAXJA Forum User
Does the Maintenance required light come on with some kind of timer like my chrysler caravan did?

If so is there a reset button in the dash?

I don't have access to my fsm right now.

Oh yeah, this is on my 91 limited 4.0 HO.

I don't know if I did a sig here yet.

Thanks,
Bob

Well, I had a 93 fsm (electronic), but I can't find that one. My 88 FSM doesn't cover that item.

BTT

i know that on the 87-90 renix non HO it is just a timer.

dont have any eperience with the HO, but you should be able to flash the codes.

Yeah, post 91's are timer, but buggers must be reset by one of them fancy dealer toys.

I recomend tape if you know your O2 senson is good.

Bones

Beached Bones said:
Yeah, post 91's are timer, but buggers must be reset by one of them fancy dealer toys.

I recomend tape if you know your O2 senson is good.

Bones

I know another method that's a bit more elegant than tape, and just as effective:

1. Remove instrument panel bezel.
2. Remove warning light cluster on left side of insturment panel
3. Remove "maintenance required" light bulb
4. Reinstall light cluster and instrument bezel
5. Enjoy seeing light not turned on forever.

AZ Jeff said:
I know another method that's a bit more elegant than tape, and just as effective:

6. Remember to replace oxygen sensor every 80,000 miles

DCX should have come out with something to modify pre OBD-II vehicles with OBD-II equip....... I can't find anyone who can clear my timer (cept i have not had the chance to try my dealership yet).

imma honky said:
DCX should have come out with something to modify pre OBD-II vehicles with OBD-II equip....... I can't find anyone who can clear my timer (cept i have not had the chance to try my dealership yet).
Switching from OBD-I to OBD-II is NOT EASY. Most all of the wiring harness and some sensors would have to be replaced, along with the ECU.

ANY DEALER with a "DRB" scanner used on OBD-I can reset this light for you. Otherwise, the only way to reset it without a DRB is by pulling the bulb :D

That's what I did on my '89 Larado - my garage couldn't find a way to reset it. The bulb just pulls out.

AZ Jeff said:

There is a timer under the dash near the steering column. The timer must be replaced to reset it. A few years ago on my 90 it was about $26 for a new timer. You can unplug the timer to turn the light off but just remember to change your oxygen sensor again at the recommended mileage. It is set to go off after approximately 75,000 miles (I say to get you into the stealership) to indicate it is time to change the O2 sensor. Pop in another timer and you are good for another 75,000. The timer actually runs whenever the vehicle is started so if you do a lot of idling it is still running and may come on before the recommended mileage. The timer is about 2 to 2 1/2" by 2 to 2 1/2" by about an inch, I believe it is clear but smoke colored or dark orange (still clear). An old friend of mine took my timer and broke it open, looked inside and then dumped the gears out. The last gear has a metal contact on it that sets the timer off when it reaches it's full rotation. He put all the gears back in at their original position and taped it together and it worked fine. It was pretty basic to see how they go back in to "reset" it. Don't bother with the electrical tape pver the light, just unplug it and remember to do the proper maintenance at the right mileage, buy a new one, or try reseting the old one as it's now garbage anyway.

Intrepid
I see that you are local, I'm in Northlake. If you still haccess to that scan tool, maybe we can take a look at resetting the timer. I have changed the O2 sensor about 10,000 miles ago. I'll try flashing the codes first with the ignition switch.

I'm planning on bringing the vehicle in to Larry Roesche Chrysler Jeep, for some warrenty work on ABS, and I don't need them finding more work for themselves.

When they're done with the ABS, I plan on replacing my trail rig with this one. Previously it was the wife's DD.

Anyway, let me know if we can use that scanner,

Bob

on my 89, the maintenance light came on at 194k. i bought it in 1990 with 24,000 miles so it was the original timer.

Back