• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chgd tranny fluid AW4, 3 qts if just drained and refilled?

Heinz

NAXJA Forum User
Just chgd. tranny fluid again after 25K, with Castrol ATF+3??? I'm assuming this is fine for Dexron 2-3 orig. type fluid? It came out real clean again - didnt drop pan, no leaks. It's hard to tell how much I drained and a real booger tellin EXACTLY how much is in, I put in approx. 3.5 qts and it "appears" at COLD reading to register the equivalent of one hash mark high?? ie., same diff. as at ADD and FULL but on high side of stick. Apparently this stuff is so clean, I can't tell for sure when it's running exactly where level is???? Arghhhhhhhhhh. Cant they make it in BLACK??? Runs great, very few dust size shavings came out. Prob. next time I'll drop pan, chg filter and add inside magnet. It just didnt seem neccessary. Also installed new air filter, and Pennzoil 20/50 full synthetic motor oil. Thanks for any advice, Heinz
P.S. Also chgd, xfer case, was sparkling clean too.

Yes...it is difficult to see where the level is. Make sure to check it hot - the cold mark is only a rough estimate, my '96 doesn't even have a cold mark. ATF+3 is the WRONG fluid. Dextron III is what you need to use. I strongly suggest you drain it back out and put in Dextron III. That is, unless you find replacing transmissions enjoyable. ;)

If you've shopped at autozone very long you should know everybody that works there is an idiot, and that computers make mistakes. Dextron III is what you need to use!! Read your owners manual. It will say Dextron II. Look at the drain plug on your transmission - it will have DII stamped into it. Dextron III is a replacement for II. ATF+3 is NOT a replacement for Dextron and should NOT be put into an AW4.

Back