• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

serpentine belt woah's

dork

NAXJA Forum User
ok...

i have a 93 4.0 XJ w/ a/c.
i reciently tried to change the serpentine belt and the tensioner bolt under the PS pump twisted off... there's not enough room to get the bolt out with vice grips.... how can i do this?.. do i have to remove the whole PS pump or can i just remove the bottom bracket that the PS pump slides in? to access the bolt?!

help please! my heep hasn't been running for a couple of days now...and it's my DD

Did you loosen the PS pump before you grunted the adjuster bolt off ??

I did exactly the same thing when I bought my 99. I just put on my dunce cap and started sucking my thumb. :twak: Then I loosened the adjusting locking nut and removed the bolt welded the bolt back together reinstalled it then called and ordered a new one and installed it later. Mine broke up high so it was no big deal I don't have any good suggestions from there just wanted to let you know your not the only one.

Joe

You don't have to loosen the PS pump on a '99, just the bolt on the idler pulley on the tensioner, 15mm head IIRC.

Lawn Cher' said:
You don't have to loosen the PS pump on a '99, just the bolt on the idler pulley on the tensioner, 15mm head IIRC.

Thats all well and good but he has a 93...

thanks for the info, and support guys! haha yea i'm going to have to take the bracket off that the tensioner bolt is attached to and twist it out with vice grips for sure....

i'm stupid and didn't losen any bolts on the PS pump (well not the right ones anyways) and that's how it twisted off

again thanks guys :banghead:

Lol, apparently they make those tensoner bolts out of the same thing they make Smarties from. I twisted mine apart too a while back. Came out easily, but still a pain in the ass.

Back