• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diff. Question and Package Question

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
I have a 1998 xj sport, and I was looking into buying a lift kit. First, however, I need to know how to find out which rear differential I have. Secondly, I bought my jeep used, and I have been asked many times what makes my sport any different from a normal xj. Which I have no idea of the differences, so any help at all on these 2 questions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Hutch

Ok, thanks for the help, im assuming its the Dana 35 im 99% sure its ABS, anyone have any ideas on the sport package? And yes, its a 4.0

What came on the Sport package changed some from year to year, but in general it was "amenities." You got nicer wheels, probably power windows and locks, full gauges instead of idiot lights, body color bumpers and flares, body color grille, maybe a light group (interior), cloth seats instead of vinyl, 4 radio speakers instead of two, 225/75 tires instead of 215/75, a spare tire cover. That's about it.

I would bet that it is NOT ABS. Just purchased my 98 and drove 8 of them, looked at 10 and none were ABS and most were the Dana. IF it has a fact tow package then it is a 8.25 29 spline unit.

98 XJ trim levels:
SE -base model, standard vinyl interior with steel wheels, 2.5 and 5 spd, 4.0 and auto were optional
Sport - 4.0 standard (I believe) and 5 spd, styled steel wheels and upgrade cloth interior
Classic - 4.0/auto standard, upgraded aluminum wheels, body colored trip, upgraded interior (diff seats and leather wrapped steering wheel)
Limited -all the standard Classic options plus Leather seating, upgraded aluminum wheels (diff than classics)

Last edited:
Boris T said:
I would bet that it is NOT ABS. Just purchased my 98 and drove 8 of them, looked at 10 and none were ABS and most were the Dana. IF it has a fact tow package then it is a 8.25 29 spline unit.

98 XJ trim levels:
SE -base model, standard vinyl interior with steel wheels, 2.5 and 5 spd, 4.0 and auto were optional
Sport - 4.0 standard (I believe) and 5 spd, styled steel wheels and upgrade cloth interior
Classic - 4.0/auto standard, upgraded aluminum wheels, body colored trip, upgraded interior (diff seats and leather wrapped steering wheel)
Limited -all the standard Classic options plus Leather seating, upgraded aluminum wheels (diff than classics)

if you looked at 10, and none were ABS, then they have the 8.25, not the dana 35

the front will be the dana 30.

Small detail, Eagle, but '97 & '98 Sport models have black bumperettes, side trim, grille and fender flares (SE models don't have side trim)... in '99 they changed the body trim, grille and fender flares to body color, leaving the bumperettes black, which, IMHO, looks kinda weird. Sport package also included power mirrors, leather wrapped steering wheel, roof rack, A/C and a cassette radio.

Anyway, the easy way to tell what rear axle you have is to look at the shape of the bottom edge of the differential. Flat bottom is a Chrysler 8.25, round bottom is a Dana 35.

Last edited:
You can go to the stealership and get a print out of your build sheet. That will tell you for certain what you have. They don't charge for it, you just need your VIN.

The towing package, available only with the 6-cylinder and automatic transmission, includes heavy duty cooling, heavy duty electrical, auxiliary transmission cooling, full size spare tire, hitch and wiring. It is available with or without ABS, so you can get the D35c or the 8.25.

sorry to hijack, but its kind of on topic. i have always wondered what kind of package my xj was. it is a 99 with cloth interior, power nothing. the flares and grill did not match paint, came with aluminum wheels. there are no markings other than cherokee on the side

I checked my diff., the cover is round, but the diff. itself has a flat bottom, which one did you mean? Also, I have the 4.0 automatic and it has a hitch reciever, but I'm not sure if it's factory towing. When I rev it, however, I hear what sounds like auxiliary fans kick in, could this be transmission cooling? What makes me wonder is that I don't have a full size spare.

Ramsey,

You have a SE with some individually upgraded equipment. You can pick and choose individual options when you order from the factory.

98XJSport... you are hearing the mechanical clutch fan spooling up when you rev it. The transmission cooling is an additional heat exchanger for the AW4. The heavy duty radiator is a 2-core. Does your hitch say anything on it that would determine it as a non-Mopar item? Where is the wiring mounted? Is it a 7-pin RV plug or a 4-pin flat plug? And it sounds like a Chrysler 8.25 axle to me, if the housing itself is flat bottomed.

Last edited:
Lawn Cher' said:
The towing package, available only with the 6-cylinder and automatic transmission, includes heavy duty cooling, heavy duty electrical, auxiliary transmission cooling, full size spare tire, hitch and wiring. It is available with or without ABS, so you can get the D35c or the 8.25.
Does year matter? :geek:

My hitch is a Valley industries hitch, i have no idea what they put on them from the factory. I have a 4 pin plug that is inside behind the spare tire . What im wondering is this, I got a chart from www.quadratec.com that lists all the differentials. From what I can tell with the measurements I took I have a 8.25. The chart is here -> javascript:popUpWindow(1,%20'http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/sgdynamo.exe?HTNAME=jeep/differentials/pic.html', 600, 350)
or on the quadratec tech page if you wanna go without that address. BUT I have a light right uder my tachometer that says ABS, it doesnt light up but it is a light. So I have ABS and an 8.25? is that even possible?

98XJSport said:
My hitch is a Valley industries hitch, i have no idea what they put on them from the factory. I have a 4 pin plug that is inside behind the spare tire . What im wondering is this, I got a chart from www.quadratec.com that lists all the differentials. From what I can tell with the measurements I took I have a 8.25. The chart is here -> javascript:popUpWindow(1,%20'http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/sgdynamo.exe?HTNAME=jeep/differentials/pic.html', 600, 350)
or on the quadratec tech page if you wanna go without that address. BUT I have a light right uder my tachometer that says ABS, it doesnt light up but it is a light. So I have ABS and an 8.25? is that even possible?

Go get a build sheet and make sure.

Would any Jeep dealer have a build sheet or be able to get one? I got mine used at a smaller dealership, they had no more info than I have now.

98XJSport said:
I checked my diff., the cover is round, but the diff. itself has a flat bottom, which one did you mean? Also, I have the 4.0 automatic and it has a hitch reciever, but I'm not sure if it's factory towing. When I rev it, however, I hear what sounds like auxiliary fans kick in, could this be transmission cooling? What makes me wonder is that I don't have a full size spare.
Compare the Dana35 and Chrysler 8.25 at http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/gear1.html#axle with yours. You can also measure the axle tubes; D35 has a 2.62" tube, while the 8.25 uses 3" axletubes.

98XJSport-

You don't have the factory tow package, a Valley hitch is an aftermarket item. They don't use different gauge panels from one vehicle to another depending on options, they just have provisions for all options and some are inactive. So your dash would have an indicator for ABS but it wouldn't be functional if you don't have ABS, which you don't if you have a 8.25. And any Mopar dealer should be able to get a build sheet when provided with the VIN.

BorisT-

My description is for all XJ's '97 and newer; it is probably fairly accurate for earlier ones as well. In the late '80's the tow package came with a Dana 44 rear axle.

Back