• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front axle switch/regear/xcase swap?

axle trans case swap

• keep 231 and disco axle

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • keep 231 and add new axle non disco

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • swap 242 and non disco axle

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • win the lottery and by D 44's with electrachs

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RNMedic

NAXJA Member #659
okay guys front axle ujoints going out on an 88 with 231 case. am going to lift 3-4.5 inches and regear at same time, have a non-disco axle form an 89 with 242 case. should i just regear the D30 from the 89 and then replace the disco 30 with the lift install? should I keep the 231 case or change to the 242 for the full-time. no super rockcrawling in the future, does the 242 case 'Lock' in low or will it spin like an open diff? TIA John

I'd keep the np-231 and take this opportunity to upgrade the U-joints in either of the Dana-30s with some 297 equipped shafts from a 95+later non-disco D-30.
http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/ARD30shafts297andSeals/D30shafts297andSeals.htm
To me, it doesn't really matter which axle you use, the disconnect can easily be deleted for a solid shaft. But if you use the non-disco axle, you can do the gears, shafts, etc without taking the Jeep out of service.
Jeep on!
--Pete

The 242 has a mode thats locked called "part-time." In full time there's some differential action going on in the T-case. I think simpler is always better and like the 231, but if snow and slush is going to be a constant prob., then maybe the 242 is the thing. I think the 242 is no advantage at all off-road.

Back