• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

running camp dick

bugman1964

NAXJA Forum User
i mthinking about runnign the camp dick area has any one on here run these trials before? if so whats the severity of them?
jacob
01 limited

As I type this, keep in mind I run a stocker. I have run up Middle St. Vrain, I find it to be a pretty good trail for what I have. I do have the gas tank/t-case/front skid and rocker protection and have needed at least one of them each time. There is a small water crossing which this time of year may be borderline too deep. The trail is short but fun. The hike up to Red Deer Lake is quite nice as well.

As you get near the top of that trail, you can take a left which will lead you up to Coney Flats. I am not so sure I recommend this stock. I just can't do it. Maybe others will chime in. Now, you can still get up to Coney Flats if you hit that trail from the other side, starting from Beaver Res. That section is no problem. Again, another nice area. Pretty good fishing area :)

My experience is if you make the first couple of hundred yards on the Coney Flats trail from the St. Vrain trail, you will be fine. The water may scare a few, but I run a snorkel.

Bugman- When are you planning on running that trail and whereabouts is it located? I might wanna go if it's not far and your going this weekend. Is anyone else up for a run?

Camp dick is off hwy 72 (peak to peak hwy) near peaceful valley. I think it is a bit faster to take hwy 7 through Lyons towards Allenheads park, then go south on 72. Camp dick is only a couple miles. Like stated earlier, the middle st. vrain trail has a couple spots where tire placement is key if you're stock. I've seen the new full size tahoe's stock up there. He couldn't make the first section of the coney flats trail though. I'm a noob running 31s and was able to clear everything no problem. If you're stock, I wouldn't go it alone (coney flats trail). Later on on the coney flats trail there is a creek crossing. Water level was at my rocker panels last fall, so I'm curious to hear if it is even passable now. Won't be able to make it out this weekend, but am planning on running this trail on wed. Have fun
-Joe

Cool footdale; keep in touch; since no-one wanted to go this weekend, I'll be up for a run on Wed. or Thurs. Actually, with Mon. being a holiday; Thurs would be best for me. Any chance that would work for you?

rj454 said:
Cool footdale; keep in touch; since no-one wanted to go this weekend, I'll be up for a run on Wed. or Thurs. Actually, with Mon. being a holiday; Thurs would be best for me. Any chance that would work for you?
Things changed- Wed. will be good for me...

rj454 said:
Things changed- Wed. will be good for me...

Actually things are starting to look not so good for me. I'm getting married on Saturday so things are pretty crazy right now. I was hoping to take some friends from cali that comming up for the wedding on some trails, but will all the remaining things left to do I don't think it's gonna happen. Probably not a good idea to leave it all with the better half while I'm out playing :nono:
Send me your email and I'll hit you up when I get back from the honeymoon (Italy!!!).
-Joe
[email protected]

Anybody else?

I ran it last fall 4.5 lift sitting at 5" with 32s good fun trail. no big problems or hard obsticals other than one rocky section but I saw a stock grand cherocee make it just fine. he had rockers and hit the driver side with them but with some spotting from me he was fine. the creek crossing was up to my rockers last fall aswell no big problems. there are two big bolders in the creek that you don't really see tell you hit them so I would take your time on them. if your starting out the first one is on the right side I think only like 5 feet from the bank and the other is kinda to the left if I recall correctley. I would hit that monday but I have some family stuff in the morning to do and then I'm going to hit crystal and moody to see if the gats are open. I've heard that moody is for sure open yet crystal isn't but also heard it is. ONly one good way to find out and thats to go hit it right.

Back