• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Floorboard Paint

mdemic

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I got the vinyl flooring out of my MJ and the boards are better and worse than I expected. The good news is they're nice and solid with the exception of one little hole. The bad news is the surface rust is almost unbelievable. I'm going to take a wire wheel and clean it up, but what should I paint it with? I plan on laying some soundproofing afterwards and putting the vinyl back in so I don't need to go durabak, but I want something durable with good rust-proofing qualites that won't give me a contact high every time I drive it. Any thoughts?

I've heard a lot of good things about POR-15, it's a rust-preventative paint. Also, when you do the sound deadening, use a heat gun to lay it down, you can use a roller to get it down good, and in not-so-flat areas you can use a rag that is moist...keep a bucket of water on hand to dip it in, i have put a lil under 200 sq.ft. of sound deadening in my XJ so far and still not done yet...makes a world of difference.

POR-15 is the only way to go. It is a moisture catalyzing paint and pulls the moisture out of the rust and stabilizies it. Once it cures, nothing will disolve it. Dont get it on your hands. If you don't get it washed off with laquer thinner or the like in about two minutes, you will have to wait for your body to shead the skin to get rid of it. The only negative about POR-15 is that it is not UV stable, but for a floor board that will never see the light of day, no problem.

Back