• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Banks Headers

5-90

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone used their setup? I've had someone chatting me up the other day about them, lauding them above Borla (and I'm an OLD Borla hack!) and the price seems comparable. I have to look up the difference between using T304 and T4xx stainless, as I don't recall which handles heat better, but it's an interesting thought.

It's a pity you can't get full stainless systems - from the flange to the tailpipe (no stainless hi-flow cats that I've found yet...)

5-90

5-90 said:
Has anyone used their setup? I've had someone chatting me up the other day about them, lauding them above Borla (and I'm an OLD Borla hack!) and the price seems comparable. I have to look up the difference between using T304 and T4xx stainless, as I don't recall which handles heat better, but it's an interesting thought.

It's a pity you can't get full stainless systems - from the flange to the tailpipe (no stainless hi-flow cats that I've found yet...)

5-90

I've seen the specs and they look real good. I talked to Banks the other day and they say there are no plans for a hi flow cat :confused: :rolleyes: . I wanna hear what it sounds like before I buy one... until then I'll go with the old Flows

I saw that advertised recently in a 4x4 rag. Cought my intrest but alas I have the 4 popper!

They're so new I doubt many if anybody has one yet. I can't tell from the pictures but it looks like is has a 3 piece flange like a stock manifold but the Borla has a 1 piece. Someone else commented on the fact that the Borla is easier to install with the slip pipe and clamp as opposed to the the gasket flange.

Ya - I was wondering. Banks made their name in the Diesel circle, so their engineering has to be pretty good (it's not like they're trying to adapt a Honda design - more like a Cummins or a Cat...)

Does ANYONE make a decent, high-flow, SS cat? Has anyone even HEARD of anything like that? It seems pointless to me to make the whole system SS except for the most "critical" part (according to EPA and Cal/EPA, anyhow...)

5-90

Why not just paint the cat with some hi temp paint to prevent rusting?

I surfed up Banks website as soon as I heard of their XJ header...

They are for 91+ HO motors only :bawl:

I'm on the verge of buying one of the Banks headers..... I need a header, FAST (my OEM manifold is rapidly disintegrating, and getting LOUD...), and despite my reluctance to use a stainless header, Banks' reputation is pulling me in that direction.

So here's where I am right now:

Gale Banks header; $450 (no tax, including shipping)
Mike Leach header; $469 - for that money, I'll get the Banks.
Doug Thorley; anyone have a price and picture?
PaceSetter; cheap, but I've heard too many bad stories...
Headman; looks decent; anyone know prices?
Clifford; price is OK, but no downpipe, and just a painted finish
Gibson; anyone have price/pics?
Borla; similar price to Banks' header, but for some reason I just trust Banks' quality more.....don't ask me why..:rolleyes:

I'm gonna order something by this weekend, so let me know what you think....and if I get the Banks header, I'll let you all know how it works out.

woody said:
I surfed up Banks website as soon as I heard of their XJ header...

They are for 91+ HO motors only :bawl:

It just doesn't have the EGR bung so go get one welded on and quit yer whinin.:twak:

AndyS said:
I'm on the verge of buying one of the Banks headers..... I need a header, FAST (my OEM manifold is rapidly disintegrating, and getting LOUD...), and despite my reluctance to use a stainless header, Banks' reputation is pulling me in that direction.

So here's where I am right now:

Gale Banks header; $450 (no tax, including shipping)
Mike Leach header; $469 - for that money, I'll get the Banks.
Doug Thorley; anyone have a price and picture?
PaceSetter; cheap, but I've heard too many bad stories...
Headman; looks decent; anyone know prices?
Clifford; price is OK, but no downpipe, and just a painted finish
Gibson; anyone have price/pics?
Borla; similar price to Banks' header, but for some reason I just trust Banks' quality more.....don't ask me why..:rolleyes:

I'm gonna order something by this weekend, so let me know what you think....and if I get the Banks header, I'll let you all know how it works out.
Thorley from www.rockyroadoutfitters.com
Hedman I think www.Summitracing.com has them
Borla can be had for $350 from http://www.ok4wd.com/bargainbin.asp

I think the Heddman runs in the upper 200s. With that price I would have just sprung for the the extra $$$ and got the borla. In the end I lucked out and got a borla for 260 off ebay. Its sweet.

Well, I just spoke with OK 4wd, and they sell the Banks header for $390, but they also pointed out that the Banks kit does NOT come with the downpipe; it is and optional piece for $80.... So, the Banks kit is out of my range, I've decided, and will go for the Borla like everyone keeps saying to do.

Also, OK4wd has Borla's for $350, including shipping (and downpipe...), but they are listed for 91-92 ONLY. 93 and up have a different PN, and a higher price (and shipping ISN'T included either).

This might be a dumb question, but, will a Borla for a 91-92 fit my '94 4.0 with AW4 correctly? I was under the impression that all the HO's from 91 and up took the same exhaust. I don't see the HO motors being broken down by year when searching other header manufacturers sites...what is Borla making that is so specific?

I know I must sound like a pain in the ass, but I REALLY want to know what I'm buying before I do it, and I'm a stingy Scottish bastard anyways...;)

5-90 said:
Ya - I was wondering. Banks made their name in the Diesel circle, so their engineering has to be pretty good (it's not like they're trying to adapt a Honda design - more like a Cummins or a Cat...)

Does ANYONE make a decent, high-flow, SS cat? Has anyone even HEARD of anything like that? It seems pointless to me to make the whole system SS except for the most "critical" part (according to EPA and Cal/EPA, anyhow...)

5-90

The one I have from walker/dynomax was claimed to be SS and a high flow model (you can see right through the little bugger) and has changed the same color as all the rest of the Borla SS stuff that is on there (been going strong for 5 years now).... HTH

Matt

(note I have no idea if it meets any CA smog standards but came with paperwork to be registered!?) :rolleyes:

Well...the real story is...do any of the headers make the 4.0 rally come alive? My rig still seem to have plently of power on the trail, but pulling the big diffs and 38's seems to a dog on the road....even with the 5.13's I'm haulin' a big load. What the opinion's is the HP gain worth a few month's Beer money?:D

I only really feel the difference in the highway. Passing at high RPMs is a lot less of a bear. On the trail it hasn't made too much of a difference unless my RMPs are high like climbing a muddy hill or trying to dig out of a pit. Sure sounds badass though.
I wouldn't do it again though. The couple of hundred would have been better spent on beer and just a better muffler.

Well, highway passing/climbing is where I'm looking to gain the most. I have 31's with 3.55's and AW4, and I'm hoping to gain enough to stop the tranny from hunting between 3rd and 4th on long steep hills on the highway, especially when pulling a sled trailer. I have plenty of power for the type of wheeling I do, I'm looking for the largest gains in the mid-rpm area.

I know, I know....4.10's..........:rolleyes:

I have the same setup and my tranny still hunts on climbs. The header didn't help that at all, just made climbing and aceleration on the highway more "punchy"

Well, that's a bit of a disappointment......but the fact remains that I must replace the manifold, so I see no reason not to use a quality aftermarket header. I can ALWAYS use more "punch"!

I still haven't heard from anyone what the differences are between the 91-92 Borla header and the 93+ Borla....like I said, there are several other manufacturers that don't break the HO motors down by those years, so I'd like to know if I can use the 91-92 model on my '94?

low end power

when i had my '89 i went cheap and got the $159.00 pacesetter. i never could get it to seal up, even after seven years it still leaked. it had a slip joint right at the 2-1 converstion. i can tell you that i had a huge increase in low end power and the tone of the exhaust dropped . It really made the xj sound tough so i was very please with that aspect. as for the power...i was running 31s with 3.55s and i hope i can only find a header that gives me that same power increase for my '99. i can't recommend the pacesetter unless you have the engine out at the same time so it can be installed and welded. my .02

Back