• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shock length...

red91

NAXJA Forum User
this should have went with the coil spring question. A shock with piston travel of 12 1/2 inches should be for a lift of how high?

I would say at least 8 inches of lift, i have about 12" now and run a Bilstein 14" travel 5150 shock.

I think its a bit more complex than that. You need to consider tire size, bumpstops, and brake lines. Start with tires. How far can you stuff before they rub, that will set your bumpstops. Then, measure the distance between shick mounting locations to get the ride length of the shock. From there you will need to start searching for shocks that have an extended length and compressed length that are equally distant from your "ride length". Or 60/40 up to down. Make sure your brake lines are long enough for the "possible" droop. Last, if your axle will droop more then the brake lines and / or shocks will allow, get limiting straps. HTH

P

From everything you wrote down there is one thin correct - the working position of the shock at 60/40 or 50/50 and to get this you have to have a certain minimum of lift. Don't talk about tires when it comes to fit shocks :nono: :bs:

My apologies...can you let me know what was wrong with everything else i said and why tire size has no bearing on the shock selection?
Thanks!

xxxj-va said:
My apologies...can you let me know what was wrong with everything else i said and why tire size has no bearing on the shock selection?
Thanks!

Don't see a problem with your post......good advice. You're tire comment was related to bumpstops, which is correct. Only thing is that you can't change your tires, you already have them..........

To the original poster. You're overall shock length...compressed and extended.....is most important, then the travel length. There is only one way to get the correct shocks for your rig, and that is to flex it up with the shocks removed and measure the distances to the shock mounts. Then find a shock with the dimensions, and travel, that you want. Best to adjust your bumpstops at the same time, if needed.

Back