• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody running RockKrawler Rear Coilover Kit?

RockRod

NAXJA Forum User
Pics on site look bad Azz. Curious how it rides. Anybody using on seen it on the trail?

Gawd....I hope not!

:D :D

I know someone who has it but I havent rode in it nor do I plan on it. You could pm him his sn on here is FlexyJOE.

are there products really that bad?

azxjman said:
I know someone who has it but I havent rode in it nor do I plan on it. You could pm him his sn on here is FlexyJOE.

I rode in it when we did axle alley and I thought it did really well. Back then he just had the leafs in the rear though.

JCSXJ said:
I rode in it when we did axle alley and I thought it did really well. Back then he just had the leafs in the rear though.

Now that I think about it I dont even think he owns a cherokee anymore he sold the red one for scrap and the newer white one he sold to. Which was the one with the coilovers the red 98 never had coilovers. Now I belive he owns a wrangler unlimited which might be why he isint on here anymore.

azxjman said:
Now that I think about it I dont even think he owns a cherokee anymore he sold the red one for scrap and the newer white one he sold to. Which was the one with the coilovers the red 98 never had coilovers. Now I belive he owns a wrangler unlimited which might be why he isint on here anymore.

He's still around. It ain't gonna be that easy to get rid of him.

The kit, as far as I know, is not in production (and may never be) due to some issues with the unibody strength.

PM FlexyJoe or call rockkrawler to find out.

Rick

The kit is out for sure. There are a couple of people using it in competition use that I know of. Not sure about the highway ride quality, but offroad for an XJ the thing is awesome. Hands down will dominate any XJ system I have seen to date. Check out the Neuroc and Uroc boards.

There long arm upgrade info says it is $475. Can it be that low? How much is Clayton's long arm upgrade/RE/Tomken?

azxjman said:

Ok. First off, I have my 91 for right now. It has the RK Severe Duty Kit with the Coil-Over rear. Does it work well??? I would have to say YES. On road, it rides smoother than my ZJ, And off road it is waaaay more stable and flexible than ANY leaf spring set up (short of 1/4 elip)I have seen to date. And yes, mark and Jes, I have looked!!!!! :) The kit is currently in production, and will be for some time. RK has been doing some design changes as it goes along, and for the most part, they have all been positive. A few more positive things I have noticed with the kit are : NO axle wrap (Obviously) Surprisingly enough, with it being Heim'ed on all attatching points, It is remarkably quiet on and off road... No clunking, banging, or other noises. With the coil-overs in the rear, you can adjust Nitrogen pressure to "help" the spring rate, and right now, I have then at 225# with real good results. I have tried 175# and it was too soft, and had some issues. Some of the other RK issues have been cured by all of the gen II line...such as no more bracket welded onto the factory spring plate, it now goes from a bracket on the "frame" rail to the factory cast mount in the diff housing. Much better in my opinion, just due to the fact it takes the "idiot" out of installing the kit, because Almost all of the failures were due to poor welds by the installer. The other failures were from the factory bracket tearing from the axle. EVERY Co. has SOME issues, and RK is working them out. Their customer service is one of the best in the industry, (ever call Tera-flex????) IMHO is one of the better designed kits on the market for the DIY'er right now. Yeah, I am sure we all "have a friend of a friend's dog's sisters, uncles, brother" that could do the same for 250.00. Then do it, I say. Beez, Sean and Hinkley all are very good fabricators in my eyes, and even those people like Rick Norman (who did some welding for me) all have their own talents. Do I pimp RK??? YES. Why??? I have seen their product evolve into what it is today, from some really "interesting" ideas to what is out there now.....Remember people....EVOLOUTION... Wh would have thought 15 years ago, that there would be more than the 3" TRAILMASTER kit for the XJ??? Better yet....WHY would you NEED more than 3"??? :nono: Things EVOLVE and RK is a young (for the market) Company, and I will continue to have their product, just because I like it and it works...Bottom line. So feel free to flame me, my XJ, or RK....I will understand everyone has an opinion...just like.......well you know.....:) :D If anyone would like pictures of the install, or the kit on the trail just e-mail me @ [email protected] I would post them here, but I am a dumbazz and dont know how...:)

Joe

RockRod said:
Pics on site look bad Azz. Curious how it rides. Anybody using on seen it on the trail?

The pictures of the white XJ on the RK site are my 91. Wheels from Hinkley. Seatbrackets by Rick Norman. :D It is minus doors now, slowly tearing itself in half.....Its an XJ thing, wheel it for 3 years, then throw it out and build another.... This is my 3rd one, and the next one will most definatly be a 97+....fiberglass hatches just plain suck!!!!! :lecture:

Joe

I may not have seen much, but I watched one roll over last weekend at Neuroc, get flopped back over and it was all good from there. Spam on - Whatever!

Back