• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake problems

xxxj-va

NAXJA Forum User
Posting in modified because I'm on 35's with "stock" brakes. D44 rear w 10x2.5 drums and YJ cables. Front D30 with 97+ calipers. No ABS.

Issue: Damn drums are HOT! Rotors are hot! I mean wet your finger and touch the drum and *sizzle* hot. Smoke will rise from the drum or rotor after a 30 - 45 min normal stop/go drive or a 20 min highway drive. I have replaced EVERYTHING on the drums.....still gets too hot, one hotter then the other but not always the same one. Parking brake adjusted way out.....still get hot. Brakes adjusted, still gets hot. Shoes are on correctly, smaller area primary shoe is toward the front of the vehicle. Ideas and troubleshooting help? I am having the drums turned ASAP. But why the *excessive* heat on the rotors? I'm not sure what else it could be...I've replaced the entire drum innards including the wheel cylinders. I probably have *every* brake problem all at once given my luck. Can you experienced folk throw some suggestions my way? I know brakes get hot....but they shouldnt be burning under normal driving conditions.

P

I´ve seen guys ignore the warning to use a closed sealed container, when adding brake fluid, doesn´t take much moisture to expand, when the brakes get up to operating temp. Dot 3 is a moisture magnet, an open container will suck moisture right out of the air. A little air will do the same thing, not enough to really feel at the pedal, but enough to expand when hot and cause a little constant pressure on the drums or disks.
Front and rears both overheating, almost rules out a kinked/dented brake line.
Fronts will get hot enough to cook your fingure, during normal operation. Severe overheating will often show up as a bluish color, on the metal, when hot. Have heard the 97 rotors, heat warp pretty easy.
Probably other things that will cause the same problem. I know it takes some serious brakes, to slow down and stop 35" tires, I have a set on a 3/4 ton truck, with a whole lot bigger disc and drum than the XJ and I have problems.

Back