• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DW puzzler

younggun96

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I replaced the worn U-joints (or cv joints) at the front wheels on my 96 XJ and this cured the squeaking I was getting everytime I turned. I just replaced the Trac bar because I am getting the infamous DW occasionally when I hit a bump just right travelling down the road. It seemed as though it had cured my problem but then yesterday I got that unwelcome surprise again. I don't get it, I changed the trac bar, checked my tow in and out measurements, and everything looks good yet I still get this death wobble, what the heck could it be now????

Have your two front tires rebalanced, probably about 10 bucks a pop and is the easiest/first thing to do if you have Death Wobble. If you're absolutely certain they're balanced right (no weights missing, etc), then look at TRE's and control arm bushings.

Thanks for the replys guys. I have not added a drop pitman arm yet but the lift has been on the jeep for 2 yrs nearly trouble free and definately wobble free since I nstalled the drop brackets on my sway bar with the lift. With this being said I don't think it is the pitman arm since it has been ok all this time. The tire balancing thing puzzles me a bit.......I hear people mention this allot as a cause of these wobbles but I don't understand how on these XJ's an out of balance tire can cause death wobble. I have driven 4x4's that with big old mud tires that never seen a tire weight in their life and yes I had some vibrations but nothing like a case of death wobble. Why?

I've got some ball joints that are about to fall apart in my XJ. I get the wobble on about half the sizeable bumps I hit now. It's looseness that can allow DW. TRE's, ball joints, control arm bushings, wheel bearings, track bar.... Just make sure they are all good and balance the tires at a reputable shop. Looseness just let's out of balance tires wobble more.

Jared:patriot:

I have had the jeep aligned twice in the last year but I drive allot of miles each month on less than favorable country roads so it is possible it may be out a bit again. I have noticed that now that I am running these 12.5 wide tires regular tire rotations and alignments seem to be frequent needs for the XJ. I will definately go back to a narrower tire as soon as I wear these ones out enough to justify spending the cash on some new diggers. Thanks for the input!

younggun96 said:
I have had the jeep aligned twice in the last year but I drive allot of miles each month on less than favorable country roads so it is possible it may be out a bit again. I have noticed that now that I am running these 12.5 wide tires regular tire rotations and alignments seem to be frequent needs for the XJ. I will definately go back to a narrower tire as soon as I wear these ones out enough to justify spending the cash on some new diggers. Thanks for the input!

If you drive on that type of road, the chances that you threw a balance weight are even more probable... Plus its the cheapest "first fix". Go through the process of elimination, starting with the cheapest...and work your way up.

Balanced can certainly be a factor in triggering DW, but you only mentioned that it happened when hitting certain bumps. If this is the case, balance isn't the issue.

Check out:
Loose steering and suspension parts
castor (should be > 5.5°)
steering stabilizer

Back