• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap upgrades

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, this is my first thread and I was wonderin about some cheap power upgrades. I'm a Marine and just got married, so I have no money so I ogtta make sure that anything I do would actually help. I've heard mixed reviews about throttle body spacers but the price is right...I have a K&N filter from when I bought my XJ and have considered either upgrading to the FIPK from K&N or getting a snorkel. I think the FIPK with its cone style filter and open design would give more power but be more vulnerable to dirt. The snorkel should add a mild ram air effect and act as a cold air intake. I don't do too much deep water crossings, but it'd be nice to be able to keep going if I should come across something a bit deep on the trail. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

First off, welcome to NAXJA, congratulations on your marriage, and thanks for protecting our nation. You might want to do a search, this topic is discussed very often and has been thoroughly researched.

The general consensus is that for a '91-'98 model a TB spacer slightly improves throttle response by increasing the volume in the intake plenum, but the kind with the helix bore is useless... a smooth bore is ideal. The K&N FIPK is not worth the price, and a snorkel is much more functional as an intake improvement and an engine protection device if it is legal in your state.

A lot of my performance mods are of the cheap and cheerful kind. These are the ones that I've asterisked:

Engine Performance

*Homebrew FIPK with
Simota Powerstack air filter +5hp
*Thermotec intake manifold heatshield
*Bored 62mm throttle body +4hp
*Bored 62mm TB spacer +2hp
Borla header & 2.25" S-pipe +10hp
*Flowmaster center muffler
Magnaflow SS rear muffler +5hp
Mike Leach 2.5" tailpipe
JET Stage 2 PCM +4hp
*Splitfire triple-platinum spark plugs
*Splitfire twin-core plug wires
Ford Racing 24lb/hr injectors
DIY ported head, 3-angle valve job,
compression ratio raised to 9.07:1 +14hp
*Homebrew MAP sensor voltage adjuster

Cooling System

*JET 180 degree thermostat
Flowkooler high-flow water pump
*Clutch fan replaced by electric fan
*CTS 4Kohm resistor trick to activate electric fans at 210*F
'97 and later style auxiliary electric fan

I had my TB bored out to 62mm at a local engine shop and made an oversize throttle plate myself. The TB spacer cost me $50 and I had that bored to 62mm at the same engine shop.
4.6L stroker (under construction)
- Websites -
Jeep 4.0 performance, 4.6L stroker build-up
- Tech Webpages -
CTS resistor trick, Dual electric fans, IAT sensor relocation, Intake manifold heatshield, MAP adjuster, Oil temp. gauge install
- Info Pages -
Automotive formulae, Jeep 4.0 cam specs, Jeep engine dyno graphs

Thanks, I've been hearing a lot of mixed responses in other forums from people talking about the spacers. I plan on building a storker at some point in the future, but that may have to wait a while...:( I think I will most likely go for the snorkel partly because it looks cool :D How much did it cost you to get you TB bored? Also, anyone running a Flowmaster 50 series muffler? I really like the sound of that, but want to kow if it benefits power at all. Even if it doesn't provide too huge a boost, it might still be worth it for the sound. I'm looking into getting just a 2" budget lift from Rocky-Road.com for $110. All it is is spacers for the front and shackles for the rear. I'd upgrade the front to ACOS later so I can adjust it to get higher after I get more money to get an actual suspension lift and ARB Bull Bar w/winch.

Last edited:
BlackSport96 said:
I plan on building a storker at some point in the future, but that may have to wait a while...:( I think I will most likely go for the snorkel partly because it looks cool :D How much did it cost you to get you TB bored?

It cost me a combined $20 to get both the TB and TB spacer bored to 62mm. I made the oversize throttle plate myself so that cost nothing.
The Flowmaster 50 sounds great on a 4.0 XJ so get it.
I'm building a budget stroker at the moment so you could get some ideas from mine when you decide to build yours.

Dr. Dyno said:
I'm building a budget stroker at the moment so you could get some ideas from mine when you decide to build yours.

Keep us updated on the budget stroker!! I'm thinkin of doin that to my 4.0, but i havn't looked into it too hard.

What's the word on K&N filters? I've read in other forums that the K&N doesn't add too much power and can actually allow more dirt in, causing higher wear and a dirtier engine...I ahve just the stock replacement one in from when I bought my XJ.
And now for something completely different: Its strange how we can become attached to our vehicles. Most see cars as transport and nothing more. I learned in a 94 Geo Tracker (on and off-road) That was my first experience with rock crawling, mud holes and especially sand. I had that thing for2 yrs of high school, and a year after that before going overseas. Its what I came home to after leaving Okinawa and brought it with me to CA. I wrecked it and didn't expect to find a proper replacement (especially after buying a $500 90 Samurai). I must say that I like my XJ more. Not the same sentimental value as far as memories go, but its still only been with me for 4 months. I'm going to be driving my first kid around in my XJ in a few months and couldn't think of a better vehicle for it.

While not quite a cheap upgrade, what about Doug Thorley headers? Rocky-Road.com has them and is pushing them, while here I hear mostly about Borla or Banks. Has anyone dealt with Rocky Road? I've e-mailed them a few times in the past before I found NAXJA and they seem pretty knowledgeable. But like most businesses they claim they're the best and their stuff is best and at best prices

I just got a build sheet printed out for my vehicle and it came factory with a Dana front and Corporate 8.25" rear, 3.55 gears. Also it had remote keyless entry, is it possible to get a new remote ordered so I can take advantage of that feature or will I have to actually buy a security system. I'd prefer just to get a new remote for the factory system if possible.

Trust me, the factory keyless sucks until '97. Its the old line of sight kind and you have to aim it and even then it has a range of about 5 feet. The replacement remote if you get it from the dealer is like $150 and then you have to have it programmed, but you can do that yourself its not very difficult. Unless you find one cheap off ebay or a for sale forum, I'd just get an inexpensive aftermarket keyless system. They're cheaper and work better. Btw, I got luck and got mine from a fellow Jeeper for $10 plus shipping. It was worth $10, but not much more. I have a '95, but my remote is out of a '96 so they use the same system.

Thanks for the info Atl. I figured the factory would be cheaper, but apparently not. Suppose I'll just buy an aftermarket when I can afford it and slowly upgrade to a full fledged security system, maybe even enough to qualify for a discount on my insurance.

I have the 50 series muffler on my jeep and have had it for a while. I love the sound of it. I also have the Rustys airtube with the BIG K&N filter, I believe as long as you keep it oiled the way it is supposed to be it filter fine, Thats my 2 cents. As for a power increase, they made barely anything noticeable except for the throttle response and different sounds, hiss from under hood and the awesome exaust note...

What about adding ground wires? I've read of people doing that and saying it smoothes things out a lot and such, just wondering if anyone can vouch for that and give advice as to where...

check out his webpage, he has very detailed info bout everything on his XJ

remat said:
Out of curiousity, are you using an adjustable fuel pressure regulator with those?

No, but I did build a MAP adjuster and I'm now using that to adjust the fuel curve on my 4.6 stroker. I had it set at 4.25v (stock is 5.0v) on my old modded 4.0 with ported head (yes, it still ran rich with 24lb injectors but no MAP adjuster) but I've had to crank it up above 5.0v on the stroker.

Back