• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking at buying a '88

Social Misfit

NAXJA Forum User
Ok i'm new to the site, but i figured this would be the place to find people that know about XJs. Heres the deal, i'm lookin at an 88 4 door, 4.0l, auto, power yada yada yada. its got something eng problems, but i'm a mechanic so i'm not too worried. Now I'm not too keen on an auto, i've always liked wheelin with manuals, i'm just curious wether or not the autos in these are worth a damn or can be built, or if it would be easy to swap a stick shift in, or if i should just pass on it and look for something with a stick in it already. thanks for any info.

Social Misfit said:
Ok i'm new to the site, but i figured this would be the place to find people that know about XJs. Heres the deal, i'm lookin at an 88 4 door, 4.0l, auto, power yada yada yada. its got something eng problems, but i'm a mechanic so i'm not too worried. Now I'm not too keen on an auto, i've always liked wheelin with manuals, i'm just curious wether or not the autos in these are worth a damn or can be built, or if it would be easy to swap a stick shift in, or if i should just pass on it and look for something with a stick in it already. thanks for any info.

the AW4 is the best auto I have ever driven. period. it is tough.. it lasts a long time.. and you can mod the hell out of it. it comes with a lockable torque converter.

it is much better than any manual transmission you can get in a cherokee.

JUST DON"T FLUSH THE DAMN THING! :D

How can you "mod the hell out of it". I haven't really found any mods for the AW4.

But yeah they are good trannies. I've changed mine over to sythetic and it's still run with 170k. And I won't wheel with a stick after using this tranny. It's a great tranny. As for the some places to a power flush where they suck all the old tranny fluid out via machine. It's the thought it could drag some of the particles throught hte tranny.

Weasel said:
How can you "mod the hell out of it". I haven't really found any mods for the AW4.

But yeah they are good trannies. I've changed mine over to sythetic and it's still run with 170k. And I won't wheel with a stick after using this tranny. It's a great tranny. As for the some places to a power flush where they suck all the old tranny fluid out via machine. It's the thought it could drag some of the particles throught hte tranny.

mod the hell out of it = make it a manumatic like those expensive german cars :D

'88 is a fine vintage XJ :D

AW4 is a great tranny. Depending on who you listen too or what kind of mx sched it's been kept on they last from 160-over 200k. Mine died at 163k but the PO was a moron and I'm sure the fluid wasn't changed much before I got it.

It's my oldest Jeep but also my favorite.

Back