• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rustys 6.5 lft, any opinions?

vegeta

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at rustys 6.5" lift kit for my 86 xj wagoneer. www.Tellico4x4.com has them for $999.99 plus shipping. The kit looks pretty good and I know I'll need a sye but other than that does anybody have any experience with this kit? I have heard good and bad about rustys stuff and I would hate to spend that kind of cash and not like what I got.

It says upper and lower control arms and adjustable track arm but I don't think it's a long arm. This is going to be mostly a weekend/offroad toy so ride quality isn't all that important to me.

longarms give you a lot more than just nice onroad driving, if its not LA, then the rusty kit sucks! at that height, you need some kind of DB or long arm setup to be worth that much money

Plus, Rusty's leaves suck! Give DC's 4wd a call and get some RE stuff.

so far my rusty's leaves(4 1/2")haven't sagged after 6 mo. and 6,000+ miles, now, from what i gather, his old design did sag, but the new ones are a bit different.
plus if you do have a prob. then you can easily get ahold of him on the phone...
i love my lift... 4 1/2 spring pack with a 2"bb, short arms doing the job, but i will go with drop brackets later...

Why would you need drop brackets? I mean is it because of driveshaft vibes? Also I noticed his leaves are miltary wrap so I wonder if this might eliminate the sagging problems. If I don't get this kit I'll probably goe with an re 4.5" kit. I want to run 33s with minimal trimming and I want full spring packs. I'm not a big fan of add a leaves.

drop brackets are for the lower control arms. they decrease the angle of the arms so the axle can move up and down and give a better ride. they do hang down and could possibly get caught on something.

Just remember you get what you pay for. If you just want it lifted and don't care about anything else that what you'll have. I started with this kit and have replaced everything except the fron't springs in the 15 months since installing it. You will need long arms or drop brackets to drive it. The long arms that Rusty sells are a really nice piece of equipment. I would buy them again. The rears springs netted closer to 8.5 and never settled down, they would also wrap terribly bad in deep snow or sand or wet or dry pavement or...

Just remeber you get what you pay for. Alot of people are happy with RE, maybe its worth saving a couple more months for something better.

I have had the Rusty's 6.5" Long Arm for about a year now and I love it...I agree go witht he Long arm if its not going to be a DD and I have not problems with the lift at all no sagg no axle wrap or anything....

rusty's old spring packs only had 5 leaves and saged on me after only a month. they did send me an additional 6th leaf, free of charge......but i had to get new u-bolts made.....!@#$%

i ran his 6.5" lift for just over a year and then upgraded to his long arm kit.
i love the long arm setup........a bit noisy at the floor boards but a great ride.
i didn't waste time and money on his leaf packs again.....new and improved or not......i went with Big Offroads rear springs. these springs DON'T sag at all. they're rated like 350 lbs over stock weight........down side is they don't flex a whole lot. but hey it keeps the ass end out of the dirt.

Just curious as to why you would order from Tellico 4x4 and not Rusty its the same price????

I just happened upon tellicos site when I was seaching but until then I was looking at a 4.5" or 5.5" re kit.
I'm from kentucky so most of my offroading is mud and hills. My buddy is running 3" rough country with 34" superswampers but he had to trim the crap out of his jeep to get them to fit.

i would deal with rusty, rather than tellico...imho...
i have tried tellico several times and can never get anyone on the phone...
then again there are alot of people who have great service from tellico, so i won't knock them real bad...
with rusty you talk to a person, who knows what they have in stock, that way you aren't waiting on any backorder parts...
and also i'm in pikeville(about 90 miles from ashland) and if i order from rusty in the a.m. he has always shipped out the same day, and ups has always delivered in two days on standard ground...

I'm from INDANA I have 36" tsl and I go more places than 40" can go. Mine is a
DD have no trouble with it at all. No sagging the ass is 2" higer than the front .

Back