• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake problem

xjcrazed

NAXJA Forum User
Okay. So first of all, thanks for all the help with the broken stud and loss of power. I was able to get the stud out with a right angle drill, and the power problem was a plugged cat. I got everything put back together and my XJ is running well again. But, now the brakes are acting up.

If I push the pedal slowly it feels normal, but if I push it harder it feels like there's no assist, the pedal gets really hard. I was worried that having just removed the intake and everything I had missed a vacuum connection and there wasn't enough vacuum for the booster to work properly. But I double checked all the connections, especially the one that goes to the booster and they're fine. Plus, the climate controls and cruise work so I'm pretty sure I don't have a vacuum problem.

Is my booster or master cylinder going out? My '94 XJ does have ~160K miles on the original booster and master. Any other suggestions? Thanks again for all the help.

Rob

Sounds like the booster. A couple of booster tests: Pump pedal a few times with engine off, to ensure no boost left. Now start engine with foot on brake. Pedal should sink noticeably. Booster should hold vacuum after engine is shut off. If you come back after a few hours, and push the pedal with engine off, you should still have boost for a couple of pedal pushes. If not, it's leaking somewhere. Also listen carefully when you push pedal. It shouldn't hiss, and shouldn't affect the idle speed.

So I think I've figured out my problem. The brakes passed all the checks that people have suggested. I was under the XJ last night doing miscellaneous things (adjusting the e-brake drums) and noticed that the brake on the rear passenger side is coated with gear oil. So it looks like my problem doesn't have anything to do with the brake system at all. Thanks for everyone's help.

Rob

xjcrazed said:
So I think I've figured out my problem. The brakes passed all the checks that people have suggested. I was under the XJ last night doing miscellaneous things (adjusting the e-brake drums) and noticed that the brake on the rear passenger side is coated with gear oil. So it looks like my problem doesn't have anything to do with the brake system at all. Thanks for everyone's help.

Rob

You sure it's gear oil and not brake fluid from a leaking wheel cylinder ??? Actually I think the axle seal is easier to fix than then the wheel cylinder :D I hate bleeding brakes...
Might as well do both sides of the axle seals and refill with a good synthetic when done. It's also a good time to put a traction device back there too, heck you'll have it half apart anyway :D :D

Back