• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A couple cage questions

AzRick

NAXJA Forum User
I ended up ordering an interior 6 point cage from D and C Extreme. It arrived yesterday, however, the tubing thickness seems to somewhat small.

It's supposed to be .120 wall HREW. I could find a couple pieces that came close to 1/8" in thickness, but most of it seems to roughly 3/32", or .09.

Is it normal for HREW to vary in thickness that much?? The stuff seems REAL thin for a rollcage. Will I die if I use it??

I'm gonna call them tomorrow, but I thought I'd get some input from you guys.

Rick

Do you notice a theme in the thicknesses? Like say, the main hoops are .120, but the spreaders are .09. I use different thicknesses and tubing sizes to save weight where I can.

Well, I measured again and found that it's all .09 wall.

This cage was advertised as .120.

Can .09 wall HREW be used in some areas of an internal cage. Again, it seems rather thin. Would it be acceptable to try and reinforce this one, or should I just return it?

Rick

BTW, If I return it, should I have to pay return shipping? It was $88 from Colorado Springs.

the only way I'd run a cage in .090 is if it were chro-mo....

otherwise........tentpole city sugarnipples.

I see gauges running more or less.....usually less than nominal.

but there is no such thing as .120 "running small" as .090!

if you are measuring .090, then it is .090 tubing, and you got something different than what was advertised.....

see what they say, but don't use it that crap....

you are in luck though.....

"Current status 2/03/04:

Roll cages: Any day now, almost ready"

They must be out by now, give them a call!

Thanks for the info. I just did a search and found a good thread about tubing sizes.

Man, it sucks when you don't get what you pay for.

I did a little test fit with a couple pieces and it seemed to fit good, too.

I know, I know. I should have built it myself.

Rick

Did someone at D&C Extreme space it and grab from the wrong pile or what?
Shoulda called URF. :roll:

Jes

URF.......always the best choice.

CRASH

The Tube should have been .120. I have talked to D&C this morning and they have checked all tube scrap they could find in the shop and the smallest they mesured was .112 in the 1.5 O.D. is it possable that your gauge is wrong? If your gauge is correct D&C will make this right. Please contact them before taking this thread any farther
Led

Our (D and C's) cages are 11 guage (or .120) wall thickness and while HREW does vary a little, I've never seen more than .007. I honestly can't understand how you got a cage made of .090 (ish). I have never ordered 13 gauge material (which is what that thickness is). When I was contacted about this thread I immediately measured ALL my 1.5" tube and found all my lengths to be between .113 and .119 ~ classic 11 gauge HREW.

If the cage is .090 or anywhere UNDER .110 ~ SEND IT BACK. In fact I'll arrange for the cage to be picked up and we'll send you out a new cage at no charge to you (shipping or otherwise).

Beezil said:
fill it with expandable foam for extra strength

SPOBI WARNING

Beezil - you should know that you must fill the tube with expandable foam if you want it to FLOAT

For extra strength the tube must be filled with sand.

You "mr robot welder" should know this and I demand you cease this SPOBI immediately.

How much shipped to 80538?

wouldn't it be funny as hell to find out ricks been measuring with a damn tape measure???

I'll bet he borrowed the 12" wooden ruler his kids use in art class.

HMS60609?

snoopy said:
If the cage is .090 or anywhere UNDER .110 ~ SEND IT BACK. In fact I'll arrange for the cage to be picked up and we'll send you out a new cage at no charge to you (shipping or otherwise).

WOW. that's a pretty impressive offer. nice!

snoopy said:
it seems like more and more often, you see shops or individuals trying to squirm out of their mistakes by blaming it on other people and customer error or by just bailing on the whole situation altogether. i'm REALLY glad to see Damian step up to plate here to make sure that the customer is taken care of and things are set right... no questions asked.

nice going damian!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I talked with Damian today, and he will be sending me a new cage. In fact, he was so sorry for the hassle and the extra wait, he's upgrading me to DOM tubing at no extra cost. Sweet. A way cool gesture, for sure.

Thanks Damian,

Rick

Come on Rick... We all know you blackmailed the poor guy & told him if he didn't upgrade you, you would say his cage is crap all over every internet site on the web. D&C, you have my sympathy for have to deals with guys out of Az. I think we should sell that state to Mexico.

Matt

FarmerMatt said:
Come on Rick... We all know you blackmailed the poor guy & told him if he didn't upgrade you, you would say his cage is crap all over every internet site on the web. D&C, you have my sympathy for have to deals with guys out of Az. I think we should sell that state to Mexico.

Matt

Hey now dont diss the ol copper state!. You are just jealous you dont have tht 120* summer heat! Or all our cool trails. ( I think its been a year since Ive wheeled)

Back