• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good deal on XJ D44?

wannabe

NAXJA Forum User
I have been looking for an XJ D44 in the northwest for a couple of weeks and found one that is in good shape, supposedly. I can get it shipped for 550. whats the verdict?
Also, how much stronger is this compared to my 8.25 29 spline. Isnt it also cheaper to lock and gear the 44 over the 8.25. Buying tomorrow so I need a couple responses soon. Dont know what I would do without this sight, everything I know about XJ's i learned here.

wannabe said:
I have been looking for an XJ D44 in the northwest for a couple of weeks and found one that is in good shape, supposedly. I can get it shipped for 550. whats the verdict?

If it's just a stock 3.07 or 3.55 geared axle... Bad deal IMHO.

<edit>The 29 spl 8.25 is a little weaker than a 44, and gears are some higher $$. The 8.25 ratios quit at 4.56:1. Locker cost is probably about the same, more choices for the D44. D44 drum brakes are bigger than D35 or 8.25 <edit>

Last edited:
Open with 3.54's. What would a good deal be. I want to run 4.56's for my 33's and maybe 35's with AW4. Anybody know where to pick one up in the NW.

Damn thankx man that isnt tooo far closer than the other one. How did you find it soooooo fast I have been googlin my fingers numb and havent found squat.

I got all three of my D44s for less than $200 each I got my D60 and 14bolt for $50 total.
I also would be interested in selling my D44 for the right price its got 4.56 gears and welded and ZJ disc brakes.
DIG IT!

wannabe said:
Is there anything particular I should be looking at. All i want is to run 4.56's or 4.88's and a locker still figuring out which one.

You don't get a whole lot of choices. Axle ratio in a stock D44 will be either 3.07 if it came from a 5-speed or 3.45 if it came behind an automatic. There were no factory lockers. You might find one with a factory Trac-Lok limited slip, but if it has one you would most likely need to replace the clutches, and it probably won't work with the steeper gears you want to run anyway. That's one consideration not mentioned in Woody's post -- the D44 has a carrier break (and I don't recall where that is, but it's somewhere around 3.73) and the Mopar 8.25 uses the same carrier for all gear ratios.

Carrier break doesn't matter if you're going to buy a new locker, though ... you just have to be sure to order the one that works with the gear ratio you intend to run.

ive got one minus the stock carrier and brakes. $275

wannabe said:
Is there anything particular I should be looking at. All i want is to run 4.56's or 4.88's and a locker still figuring out which one.
Look @ the for sale forum. IIRC there is a front and rear locked at 4.88 for sale :D

wannabe said:
What does IIRC stand for. I might be blind but could not find em.
If I Remember Correctly
and here it is: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=203434#post203434 gotta dig sometime for the good stuff :D

Anyways it's not a bad deal. You're getting here both front and rear all setup and geared and everything (just gotta do spring perches and shock mounts which means probably couple beers to some local wheeling buddy). Anyways, I dumped WAY more then that into my axles over the past 2 weeks!! (gears and lockers have cost me close to 1300 with taxes and that doesn't include setting them up either!)

Oh, i saw that but I thought it was D44 front and rear, already can get a D30 with ARB and 4.56's for 600 and found a stock 44 for 300. I know this has been brought up but what is the easiest 44 to put in the front and what donor would i be looking for. thankx.

wannabe said:
Oh, i saw that but I thought it was D44 front and rear, already can get a D30 with ARB and 4.56's for 600 and found a stock 44 for 300. I know this has been brought up but what is the easiest 44 to put in the front and what donor would i be looking for. thankx.

The easiest dana 44 front to use is an 66-77' ford bronco. The coil buckets etc line right up, you just have to work on the lower control arms and cross member. This would be a good time to do a long arm conversion. I know of a place in Sacramento, CA that has dana 44 for $250-350. You probably want 1 closer to home. The car-parts.com website is a good search, I have seen lots of stuff, but you should call and verify that they still have the part and will sell for the price listed. Try to find a dana 44 with the 4.56 gears and the locker already in it. I bought mine 2 weeks ago for $950. It had 4.56 gears and a detroit locker and had everything rebuilt. It was a bit expensive, but I figured I could sell some of my 8.25 stuff to recover most of my costs.

Awesome that gives me a start to the neverending information adventure. Is there a need to narrow the axle or is it just brackets and xmember. I say this because I was most likely going to run claytons long arms and I have heard he will apply his Kit to any front end.

Back