• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

belt noise

bugman1964

NAXJA Forum User
ok my 01 limited has a belt squeel every time i turn on the a/c right as soon as i turn on the xj....but if i let it run for a few minutes then turn on the a/c it doesnt squeel.also if i turn it on as soon as i start and it doesnt squeel and then turn the steering to lock it will squeel does this sound like a belt on the way out or a loose pulley?

Go stop at a NAPA store and pick up a Krikitt II belt tension gauge, about $14 or so. Check the tension. How many miles on the belt ?? I did mine at around 180,000 or so but I also replaced the two idler pulleys, cheap insurance. I kept the original as a spare. Correct tension according to the FSM is 190lbs NEW, 160 lbs USED, used is defined as a belt run for 15 minutes or longer. The 'finger test' 'twist test' and 'eyeball/ESP' methods don't work, most people best guess at 160lbs is closer to 80lbs.

Back