• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

.188 or .125 or .25 wall for rails?

jjvande

NAXJA Forum User
-- thinking of building a set of rails soon and from searching i can see that people seem to use a range of sizes. I want to have the main tube (square) rest on the underside of the rocker and bolt up with 3 arms to the frame, and about 10 locaitons along the seam.

Im thinking 1.5" x 3" x some wall thickness....or something else.

what wall thickness in square tubing do you guys use and how has it held up?:party: :guitar: :yelclap: :woohoo:

i realize there is a trade-off between weight and strength, deflection, and cost.

THe XJ doesnt rock crawl that mutch and it only takes one mistake to ruin a rocker, so they gotta be tough.

Thanks

3/16" is a great compromise between weight and strength. If you don't think that's strong enough, consider stitch welding additional flat stock to the bottom of your main rail rather than going to a thicker wall tube.

I have 3/16 and bent the crap out of it. The rock rail now looks like a V. It bent up so far it hit the rocker and dinged it up pretty good. Go with the thicker if your really gonna bash em. Im gonna go with 1/4 next time and see how it goes. I didnt think i would hit them that much, but you really do. I

Back