• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird noises: please help

Headache

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there, I did search, but have not been able to find an explanation for the following noises in my '91 XJ:

1. When I accelerate again after having stopped for a while (with the brakes engaged) e.g. for a traffic light, cluncking sounds come from (what I think) the wheels, at least from underneath the vehicel. Sometimes they come from the front, sometimes from the rear. The clunking becomes faster with increasing speed of the car until it disappears. I never have the clunks at high speed. or when driving steadily (BTW: my brakes are squeling terribly when coming to a stop: can these things be linked?)

2. When the a/c is switched on (and perhaps also when the heating is on, but I am not absolutely sure about that), there is s slurping/blowing sound that comes up about every 30 seconds. It seems to come from the middle/passenger side of the dashboard. The intensity increases with increased rpm of the engine.

Any ideas what these noised may be and how to get rid of them?

Thanks in advance!
André

1. Maybe a bad u-joint. Crawl under and check them for any play.

2. Probably low on A/C refridgerant.

1. as paul said... look at the front axle ujoints

2. low coolant: an air bubble passing through the heater core. find your coolant leak

Thanks guys, I'll have a look at the U-joints.
Regarding the A/C: the system was refilled about 4 weeks ago and there were no leaks then (tested with luminescent in the liquid). I bet I better get in touch with the guy who did the refill.

Back