• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Converting a 2wd auto to 5spd 4wd in a 94 XJ

Rob Patterson

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search and couldn't find all the info I need. I have converted an auto 2wd to auto 4wd before with no problems. This time I'm also converting to a 5spd

Do I need a new ecu for the manual tranny? I'm thinking I can use a auto ecu because the tcu is seperate from the ecu, but there are different part #'s for each ecu. Does anyone know the difference? I know on mustangs the difference in auto and manual ecu's were the timing curve, idle control, and decel betwwen gears, but an auto ecu worked just fine with a 5spd.

I'm also converting a 2wd ax15 to 4wd because trying to find a tranny here in Germany is almost impossible. I already have a tailshaft housing and mainshaft cluster from a 4wd ax15, will this be enough?

Thanks,

I know on the early ECU's there is no appreciable difference between auto and stick. As the TCU controls the trans you shouldn't have any problems. I (and others)have used them interchangeably?

Back