• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Shock Relocation

JeepFreak21

NAXJA Forum User
I'm doing a full width 44 with custom bracketry and RE style radius arms. The way it worked out, my shock comes down right on top of the axle-side upper control arm bracket with no more room for compression (SEE PIC). I'm thinking of running a shock hoop to relocate the shock directly to the outside of the coil. I'll have up to 22" to work with vertically, but I was wondering what the downsides might be to running a shock that far out on the axle. I think it would have to be somewhat soft to compensate for the leverage. :confused: I'm running full width and insane backspacing to clear my brakes, so it doesn't look like the tire will hit anything at stuff. Anybody have any input? Or has anybody done something similar?
Thanks,
Billy

I'm not an expert but having the shock outboard should provide better dampning and stability. You have the leverage thing reversed. Try and hold a 10lb sledge hammer with one hand at the end of the handle, now try to hold it right next to the head. The shock will provide better control the closer it is to the wheels.

A possible alternate shock mount would be to move your shock out just enough to use the existing control arm bolt location as the shock mount also. I did this a long time ago to mount 9012's in the front with only 4.5" of lift. I cut out the old lower shock mount and used a longer lower control arm bolt and washers to mount the lower end of the shock.

What About moving the shock back a lil and mounting it to the radius arm. I have friend who is running a set up like that and he has no complaints about it. I think I have seen one or two guys on pirate running it like that too.

Just my .02

Sean

No negatives at all to running the shock further out, and like has been already said, it's more of a positive. You're already welding up custom brackets and mounts, just put the shock where ever you want it. Cycle the suspension, for both full droop and stuff, and for articulation, with no springs in it, and figure out where the best location is for the shock to not bottom out and to clear everything.....then build your mounts.

MockKnight said:
What About moving the shock back a lil and mounting it to the radius arm. I have friend who is running a set up like that and he has no complaints about it. I think I have seen one or two guys on pirate running it like that too.

Just my .02

Sean

That's how I had it in long arms version 1.2 beta :D Worked great, but it's not going to work in version 2.0... just don't have the room.
Thanks,
Billy

Goatman said:
No negatives at all to running the shock further out, and like has been already said, it's more of a positive. You're already welding up custom brackets and mounts, just put the shock where ever you want it. Cycle the suspension, for both full droop and stuff, and for articulation, with no springs in it, and figure out where the best location is for the shock to not bottom out and to clear everything.....then build your mounts.

Actually loss of wheel travel would be the negative the farther inboard the shock the more the travel for same length shock.

what about angling the shock base forward a bit and building a bracket that would attach to the upper arm mount. Several degrees forward would give you some antidive which would not be a bad thing on a high lifted cherokee

Back