• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4to1 Kit Vs Regear

XJhammer

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone out there ran stock gears and a Tera-Low or other lower transfer case gearing?

I was thinking about skipping the regear (I have the 3.55s) and going to the tera-low or something else. I like the gas mileage on the highway, but I would like it to climb better off road.

Thanks!

-if it's a dumb idea let me know.....

How big of a tire were you planning on? The concept makes sense, if it is done reasonably; what I mean is that perhaps a combination of a moderate regear with a super low range or auxiliary crawler box would allow you to more optimally run the engine for fuel economy or performance. The cost factor is the limiting factor, however, and may ultimately determine the feasibility of such an involved project.

Last edited:
Another thing to consider is the amplication of stresses.

By adding more gearing in your t-case you increase the torque on the t-cases output shafts, yokes, both driveshafts, both differentials and axle shafts.

By adding more gearing at the differential you increase the torque on the axle shafts alone.

It all depends on what size of tire you want to run, whether you're locked or not, and what sort of trails you like to wheel.

Keep in mind most who run lower gearing at the t-case have larger parts behind them. Even look at the rubicon...Chrysler engineers increased the driveshaft u-joints from 1310 series to 1330 series while also adding a better output to the t-case. I'd assume this was to handle the added stresses due to the 4:1 t-case.

Just some stuff to think about.

I'm currently running 32's and will probably go to 33's at some point.

Thanks for the input

I got better gas mileage with 33s wiht 4.88 gears than with 4.10s or 3.55s. gear the diffs if they are going to be staying around, but if you have a d35 rear or are even considering a D44 for the front, then invest in the 4:1 and do the diffs when you swap better axles.

Back