• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone recommend a place to get new rear springs for my '96 Cherokee?

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
Ok... I'm a bit of a newbie to Cherokees, but I notice that my rear leafs are sagging a bit and I'd really like to change them out (and a new front set to match). I'd like to keep it as close to stock as possible as I don't want to replace the shocks again.

I figure anything w/Stock to 1" of lift is good for me and I'd like it to ride good going down the road.

Any suggestions?

Late model wreck is by far the least expensive. JC Whitnet sells stock springs for XJs.

Let's back up a step, though. You "noticed" that your springs are sagging "a bit"? How do you know they are sagging? If you are basing this just on the fact that they are slightly 'S' shaped, that's the way they are designed. The only way to know if they are sagging is to measure. The reference points are from the center of the wheel cap (axle centerline) straight up to the bottom edge of the flare lip. The stock dimensions are 17.5" for the front, and 17.0" for the rear.

How about Old Man Emu? They mention about 1.5-2" of increase though, but they do ride great. Other than going w/ stock ones perhaps you have a local shop that makes springs. I'm sure you'll get far more replys that give you more information, but its a start.

http://www.arbusa.com

Re: Anyone recommend a place to get new rear springs for my '00 Cherokee?

I'll drag this thread up so I don't start a new one. My wife's 2000 cherokee rear is sagging (lower) after many soccer matches and hauling the kids. She does not want a lift, I've got 8-inches in mine. What are the options for good riding rear leafs out there? Thanks,

Eagle said:
Late model wreck is by far the least expensive. JC Whitnet sells stock springs for XJs.

Let's back up a step, though. You "noticed" that your springs are sagging "a bit"? How do you know they are sagging? If you are basing this just on the fact that they are slightly 'S' shaped, that's the way they are designed. The only way to know if they are sagging is to measure. The reference points are from the center of the wheel cap (axle centerline) straight up to the bottom edge of the flare lip. The stock dimensions are 17.5" for the front, and 17.0" for the rear.

I hope its ok that I ask a new similar question using this thread. Would these
measurements be the same for a 90' Cherokee? In a nutshell....a friends getting my jeep roadable for me and he mentioned the rear leafs are "only" keeping the bumper stop 3" above the axle. Understand that I have only seen the Jeep 2 times in the dark for 5 minutes in minus 30 degree conditions. (another story) I did see the rear leafs and they seem tiny, rusted (very) and 'appear' to have major sag. He said he test drove it and running over a small rock would bottom out the rear end. I dont remember seeing any coils in the back and it has new stock shocks. He/we "assumed" the leafs are completely shot. Just doube checking ahead of time.

Many thanks,
Ken

klonestar said:
I hope its ok that I ask a new similar question using this thread. Would these
measurements be the same for a 90' Cherokee? In a nutshell....a friends getting my jeep roadable for me and he mentioned the rear leafs are "only" keeping the bumper stop 3" above the axle. Understand that I have only seen the Jeep 2 times in the dark for 5 minutes in minus 30 degree conditions. (another story) I did see the rear leafs and they seem tiny, rusted (very) and 'appear' to have major sag. He said he test drove it and running over a small rock would bottom out the rear end. I dont remember seeing any coils in the back and it has new stock shocks. He/we "assumed" the leafs are completely shot. Just doube checking ahead of time.

Many thanks,
Ken

Disregard above mesg. verified today rear leafs are shot! 15" C-to-flare lip and rear bounces (w/new shocks) like a slinky!

Thanks again,
Ken

Redsnake said:
Ok... I'm a bit of a newbie to Cherokees, but I notice that my rear leafs are sagging a bit and I'd really like to change them out (and a new front set to match). I'd like to keep it as close to stock as possible as I don't want to replace the shocks again.

I figure anything w/Stock to 1" of lift is good for me and I'd like it to ride good going down the road.

Any suggestions?

I have a complete set from a 28,000 mile 2001 xj rear springs and front coils for 50.00 plus shipping.........still have tags on em........Im thinking total should be like 120.00 shipped.

xjallday! said:
quadratec is by far the cheapest for replacement spring packs.
question for Rockwagn; you have 8 inches of lift in your xj and aren't well versed in cherokee suspension?

I put set-up together about 4 years ago. I know about modified systems, but not stock.

Check local clubs and regional forums for your local Jeepers.

Look for someone local putting a lift on with full rear spring packs.

If you are going to replace springs with anything other than use, might as well upgrade.

I still have my factory leafs in the garage, waiting for a local to need them.

Jason

Back