• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bucking backing up in Full time 4wd

ChuckstrPT

NAXJA Member #791
Ok, it's an 01, 4.0, AW4, 242, Stock everything...for now. When it's in Full Time 4wd, and I reverse with the wheels turned a signficant amount, there is some Major Bucking. Feels like it's the front end. It has not done this in forward direction, only in Reverse?? I've not taken a close look at the front end, but otherwise it doesn't seem to have anyother front end problems. It's got 71k on it. Help a brutha out.... :jester:
Thanks in advance,

GSequoia said:
What surfaces have you had this on? Sounds like the transfer case is binding to me...
This was backing out of a my driveway, hard road surface, paved etc. It was strange. I've not experienced this in either Allwheel drive vehicles, nor 4x4 vehicles........

GSequoia said:
I'd try it out on a nice loose surface before worrying too much..
If its in Full Time, the loose surface shouldn't matter, correct??
Thanks for the help

On my Mom's Exploder with full time 4wd I can feel it bucking in parking lots & such at low speeds. She doesn't even notice it. JIM.

you might not be in fulltime. try shifting around a bit and pull very hard when going into fulltime. it sometimes doesnt lock in fulltime all the way, and can still be in parttime, which would give you binding.

red91inWA a.k.a. scott f. said:
you should get it going forward too. it wasen't meant to be in 4wd unless you on a slippery surface ( snow, mud, gravel etc...) and when you crank the wheel all the way over it appplies pressure to everything since all 4 wheels want to go at the same time. good for when it's slick, bad for when its dry.

He said he has a NP242 transfer case.. that doesn't apply in fulltime.

I suspect he has 2 things wrong with his vehicle.

it could be one or a combo of both.

1. bad ujoint in one axle

2. bad transmission mount

3. or both.

I've had this problem, it was my trannymount and a ujoint on the drivers side axle.

One of mine with a 242 is very slow to go into full time. It stays in part time for quite awhile before it unlocks the front from the back. I would think you should get the same results regardless of direction of travel; however, it shouldn't be bucking if it's really in full time.

PaulJ said:
One of mine with a 242 is very slow to go into full time. It stays in part time for quite awhile before it unlocks the front from the back. I would think you should get the same results regardless of direction of travel; however, it shouldn't be bucking if it's really in full time.
That's my understanding of how the 242 is supposed to work in Full Time....

Back