• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rust in the Engine...

IMORTL

NAXJA Member #1156
87 XJ 4L 149,000 + miles

yesterday the upper radiator hose busted... when I took it off to replace it I looked at the pipe on the engine and it was really rusted on the inside...

Is there anything that I can do to get rid of that?

I recently had the radiator and water pump replaced... the water pump had also rusted

Any Advice???

Ken In Corona

http://www.geocities.com/an_imortl/P1004665.jpg

I'm no expert but I use a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water. Here in Florida the water is pretty hard so the distilled helps keep mineral deposits away and a quality coolant should help inhibit rust. Maybe flushing out your cooling system and adding a fresh mix of coolant and distilled will help keep your engine a little cleaner.

Usually a sign the coolant hasn´t been changed in decades. Anti-freeze/ coolant, is acidic and will get clean out rust, but does loose it´s rust scouring properties with age. A strong mix of anti-freeze/coolant and maybe another change in the fall, will probably clean it out pretty good. Problem with the rust is, it´s gritty and can cause water pump seal wear and/or settle to the bottom of your radiator and eventually plug things up.
Most flushes move the calcium around some, but don´t do much for the rust that collects in the bottom of the radiator and overuse of flushes will eat the copper in the radiator sometimes, until it gets pretty thin, pops leaks etc.
Drop some old rusty bolts in a can of anti-freeze, a week or so later, they usually clean (if not covered in oil), can be oiled and used again sometime.

Drain it, refill with distilled water, 7hour prestone cooling system flush, run it for the full 7 hours, install the back flush kit, back flush it and refill with 50/50 mix of coolant/distilled water.

the coolant bottle is faulty causing fluid not to circulate properly.
my dealership had 4 of these rusty jeeps last summer
the water pumps were also gone and heater cores plugged.
chrysler tech has no tsb's
but engineering had heard of problem.
replace coolant bottle back flush heater core.
so check your rad caps for rust on the bottom.
this could be happening to you.
years we had were 98 97 2000 and 95.

Back