• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

critique my buildup plans

andyr354

NAXJA Forum User
OK, getting read to start. All going on a pretty much trail only 89 XJ with 4.0, AW4, NP231.

Things I have already aquired:
76 F150 D44
78 bronco 9"
75 cheby D44 for flattop knuckle parts
5 36x12.50 TSLs
bunch of black wagon wheels
Currently running 4.5" lift RE coils with Dakota leafs in rear.
Couple of RE superflex joints
couple of radius arms for above joints, will wrist one

Need:
SYE - looking at a JB conversions. Since the 9" has a 1330 yoke should I get the SYE with a 1330 or run a 1330/1310 hybrid joint?

Rear driveshaft - Looking at using one from a 80s bronco or F150 and having it shortened, would have 1330 joints hence the question about the SYE. Or buy a new one from??

Hi-steer arms - Thinking Partsmike
Steering - right now leaning towards 85 blazer TREs
Gears - pretty much settled on 5.13
Lockers - full spool in rear, lock right in front

Some long brake lines and other assorted parts.
Start saving cash for Warn shafts and longfields as needed :)

So hows this sound???

sounds pretty good... but I'm not a big fan of "hybrid" joints unless you carry spares. My opinion is go with the 1330's.
Why lockright in front? I could be wrong but I don't think you'd notice much difference between an auto locker and a spool in front on a trail only while in 4whl. If you had to drive on road, you'll have UNlocking hubs. You could go el cheapo and weld the front also, very effective if done right.

roXJeepr said:
sounds pretty good... but I'm not a big fan of "hybrid" joints unless you carry spares. My opinion is go with the 1330's.
Why lockright in front? I could be wrong but I don't think you'd notice much difference between an auto locker and a spool in front on a trail only while in 4whl. If you had to drive on road, you'll have UNlocking hubs. You could go el cheapo and weld the front also, very effective if done right.

I was searching some old posts and came across your fabbed radius rods. Still running them? How did they work. And where did you find those slick square threaded inserts?

EDIT: Got your pm back

Ha Ha... I haven't run them yet. I've had em built for about a year, just can't pull out enough ambition to build the rc44 to hook em to. Gimme a couple more years (kidding I hope) and I'll let ya know how they work. It's funny, 10 yrs ago I woulda had this stuff done in a few months. Marriage and children affect ppl in strange ways. :dunno:

Back