• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A?????

8Mud

NAXJA Forum User
A fairly new to me 88XJ, Limited (export model) 4.0, 242. AW4. The display under the clock doesn´t seem to do anything at all, has never had a light that I´ve noticed. Looking for a spot to mount a couple of extra OEM switches, that I have. The display block under the clock looks like a good spot, if it isn´t doing anything anyway? My 4X indicators are all on the left side display.

I have a 96,and the dash lay-out is different.But this filler panel is a good spot for what you plan to do.
I used this spot to put a Temp guage in.It was a tight fit,but there is enough depth,should be fine for a switch.
Wayne

I don't have a clock and I was able to get 4 Carlingswitch Contura switches in that location and they look really clean. With a clock I would guess you might get three of them there. I mounted them horizontally and they work out to be almost the perfect width for that panel.

I don't have a sacrificial clock module to open up for confirmation, but quite some time ago I remember reading that the clock electronics occupy some or most of that space and you can't mojnt a gauge there without trashing the clock.

Considering that some early XJs had a bunch of indicators there as part of the System Sentry (System Sentinal?) option, I'm not convinced that's correct. Also, I know there were at least two different types of clocks used, one LED and one LCD, and the internal circuitry for them may be totally different.

I have seen gauges mounted there in XJs without the clock and it's a neat installation, but be sure to check out what might be in there before firing up the hole saw.

I have an extra clock module around someplace, I´ll pop the cover and take a look. Mine is the type that needs a lightbulb to make it work. My extra clock module, is the kind with the 4X indicator for the 231 tranfer in there.
Guess the worst that could happen is no clock, the switches are all around more important to me than the clock anyway. All of the OEM slots are filled and I´m not having any brain storms, as where to put a couple of more switches, without messing up the dash much.

Back