• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question about an 00xj

biscuitboy87

NAXJA Forum User
question about an 00xj rear end clunk

while not moving with the brakes on i shift from reverse to drive and there is a big clunk at the rear. i'm guessing ujoints or something in the pumpkin??? any ideas from y'all? great many thanks. Nim

Last edited:
Check u-joints first, because they are external and easier to access. If that's not it, then check the pinion bearing.

Isn't there something called a "crush sleeve"? And wont replacing it cure the above problem? I am having a lunchbox locker installed next week and was told my 'clunk' would be fixed with a new crush sleeve. Would like opinions on this- thanks.

rj454 said:
Isn't there something called a "crush sleeve"? And wont replacing it cure the above problem? I am having a lunchbox locker installed next week and was told my 'clunk' would be fixed with a new crush sleeve. Would like opinions on this- thanks.

Crush sleeve is a kind of a spacer that is crushed to the correct thickness during the setup of the gears. They are a 'one time use' thing, once they have been crushed the only thing you can do if the 'set' is wrong is hope the correct way to go is to crush it more :D otherwise it's start over time.
Check your universals first though, they usually wear over time and being non-greasable sometimes they go bad.

I am experiencing the same thing on my 98. Typically in the past a bad UJ (on other vehicles) has lead to some type of vibration. Does this also happen as they get worse?

T :paperwork

rj454 said:

The crush sleeve is used to set the preload on the pinion bearing. I doubt every much that replacing it could eliminate drive line clunks.

There is no reason to mess with the pinion or the crush sleeve when installing a luchbox locker, unless you are also changing the gear ratio during the install.

Re: question about an 00xj rear end clunk

Okay, got the crush sleeve down. But I didn't mean to hijack biscuits' thread;

biscuitboy87 said:
while not moving with the brakes on i shift from reverse to drive and there is a big clunk at the rear. i'm guessing ujoints or something in the pumpkin??? any ideas from y'all? great many thanks. Nim

What causes the clunk and what repair is required? I suffer the same noise. II will check U joints, but should I be looking at bearings and ?? while the lunch-locker is going in?
Thanks; your insite is valued- RJ

wanted to thank everybody for responses...
as for hijacking my thread...no worries....i do it sometimes because many things are related and ideas come up... i will be getting some mechanical help from an xj'er nearby to help me solv the problems as i need the hands on learning experience...
thanks again for your help.
Nim

Did you ever fix this problem? I have a 1997 Cherokee that clunks when it's put into drive. Not every time, but most of the time. The clunk is coming from the rear.

There's one more thing to check here, and it has been a culprit for me. When the slip yoke binds at the transfer case (no grease) it will clunk and thump, usually on take off or at stopping, and sometimes at drive/reverse changes. When you check the UJ's, go ahead and grease the splines, it might be a cheap fix.

Ideaman,
yes we fixed the problem. as eagle suggested i statred with the easy UJ...
apparently (when my jeep got hit or in an offraod situation???) the joint itself got pushed a little bit out of true (barely noticeable) and was binding. we changed it out (actually my friend did for some welding trade) and also greased everything up as suggested. the problem seems to have gone away, but some of the thumps and bumps and knocks of the xj driveline are still there.
thanks to all... biscuit!

Back