• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 bearing caps....

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
So I'm taking appart and cleaning pieces of the D44 one by one and after I got to the point that I will be stuffing a sock into the r&p to get the carrier out, I remembered that I read something about marking hte position of bearing caps upon their removal. Is this important only for situations when you want to reinstall the carrier without having to reset the backlash and so on?? If not, what should I do now?

There is a letter stamped in both the cap and on the adjacent surface on both sides. usually the same letter but on one side its right side up and on the other side its turned sideways.

right side- would be something like ? on the cap and ? on the housing surface
left side would have ¿ on the cap and ¿ on the surface

once you see it youll figure it out.

Rawbrown said:
There is a letter stamped in both the cap and on the adjacent surface on both sides. usually the same letter but on one side its right side up and on the other side its turned sideways.

right side- would be something like ? on the cap and ? on the housing surface
left side would have ¿ on the cap and ¿ on the surface

once you see it youll figure it out.

Yup, after I posted I went back to look at it and I saw it :D Made me all happy :D

Anyways, kind of curious, what's the significance of sides? And does anyone know of the top of their heads what's the size of the pinion nut?

Kejtar said:
Yup, after I posted I went back to look at it and I saw it :D Made me all happy :D

Anyways, kind of curious, what's the significance of sides? And does anyone know of the top of their heads what's the size of the pinion nut?

IIRC, when the pig is manufactured, it gets bored with the caps installed, along the lines of the main bearing caps in the engine.

as far as the pinion nut size: real big :D

Yep, same as D30, metric size is 29 mm which is 1 1/8". The pinion nut, yoke and pinion seal are the same too.

Back