• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sea foam?

bigpimpinben said:
Has any one used sea foam on their engine, if so what were your results, would you recomend it?

It does a passable job of carbon removal, we used it alot on my sons 81 caddy eldorado, before using it he had to run it on premium, after he could use mid grade, used it two more times and he was running on regular for about 2 months then we had to repeat the process. My mechanic friend swears by it... I have dumped it in the tank once or twice, happend to be cheaper than the Techron I normally use, seemed to work OK but up untill a month ago only NAPA had it and it was on very rare ocassions that I ever stopped there as they kept bankers hours and were always closed when I got back in the area from work. Now most of the auto stores carry it... I'm about out of techron, when Techron is on sale for $2-$3 a bottle off I usually buy 8-10 bottles so I'm about out, as long as it, seafoam, stays at a resonable price I may start using it more..

Great stuff. Many uses. Unfortunately NAPA is the only carrier, but o well.

To get the best effect you need to pour it down your throttle body. Get two cans - one can of Seafoam, and one can of Deep Creep, which is just Seafoam in an aerosol can. Put the Seafoam in the gas as directed, and then spray the ENTIRE CAN of deep creep down your throttle body at idle. Your neighbors will think you are burning a pile of old tires. That smoke is the carbon burning off. When I did this to my '96 the idle immediately went down about 100 RPMs and got smoother. The engine seemed to respond better too...

steelheader said:
Berrymans chemtool is the same thing. Just buy the screw top bottle not the spray can. :wave1:
The chem-12 chemclean (big ole bucket stuff) works great when cleaning parts.

Great stuff!!!!!!!!!!!! Just used it last weekend and I followed advice of another post here about how to use it. I let the SeaFoam get sucked down through the vacuum tube going into the brake booster without letting it freeze up. Then about halfway through the bottle, I put enough in to let it choke up and die. Then with the engine off, I sprayed the bottle of deep creep into the throttle body all over. Then poured a bottle of seafoam into my gas tank.

After about 15 minutes, I started it back up...which is harder than normal and BAM! smoke for miles :) You will want to take your Jeep on a hard drive with high acceleration all around town until it stops smoking. But I guarantee that is you follow this, you will see a big difference in idling and acceleration.

Chris (Double Down)

SouthernXJ said:
We used to do that with plain water. Did the same thing, cooled the deposits and kinda steamed them off....

You dumped water into your Throttle Body? :huh:

Well, this was into an open carb, not FI. Dont know if the results would be the same. But yeah.

ps, Dump is an exadgeration. You would normaly just squirt water into it. Squirt bottle, plant watering can, or anything that can produce a small stream of water.

Last edited:
Southern is right....a company (many years ago) sold injector kits that injected water into your manifold. Cleaned out carbon very well....used it on my old Ranger and made a huge difference.
How close is this stuff (seafoam) to Chemtool? I use Chemtool for many things....just havn't run it thru the XJ yet...
Rick

Water was used many years ago before all these fancy cleaners came out, was time when the tonly two were 'Marvels magic mystery oil' and Bardahl the only two. Lot of old timers used Kerosene in the oil to clean out a motors innards, usually a junkyard motor that was replaceing a dead motor in a relatively new car, used to see alot of slant 6's cleaned this way and chevy 283's. I used water a couple of times myself, the last time I did it was in 69 when I was decarboning my moms 66 mustang 6 cylinder, ended up warping the head, too much is not a good thing. It makes steam and the steam gets in the carbon and expands which breaks it loose in chunks, sometimes it takes the headgasket too.

I dont want to beat a dead horse on this one, but I am under the impression that Water in the engine is a bad thing. It does not compress and can damage the engine.

Water can compress, although your engine is far from strong enough to do it. The ammount of water poured into a hot intake is converted to steam almost instantly, the heavy steam and small ammount of liquid that makes it past the intake, into the chamber which is where it cools the deposits only to have them heat up again and burn out. Now, pour a garden hose in there and it would probably seize when the chambers fill with water. Never had it happen, but I imagine it would.

I've heard of some stuff in the past called Auto-RX. From what I can remember people liked it better than Seafoam. It's kind of pricey though and goes in the oil. Change after 750 miles and repeat with another can.

Anyone tried it?

Back