• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing Ratings

TxHighroller

NAXJA Forum User
I am considering buying a 99 XJ to compliment my TJ. However, I need something to pull my boat, since the TJ won't get the job done. What is the maximum weight that an XJ can pull. It is an auto trans, 6 cyl w/ a RE 3.5" lift. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Brandon

5000 lbs is only with the towing package and I'm not sure what adding a lift does to it, but I'd think that with bigger tires and no change in gear ratios that it has to diminish it.

Twice a year I tow my 21 foot Sea Ray for about 25 miles, and the rig hates it.
I have stock gearing, 4", and 31" tires, and it pains me to tow at all.
The boat and tandem trailer weigh 4300 or so, and it sucks ass.
To be honest, the braking scares me more than the towing.
I would tell you I won't be unhappy next year, but then I'm just one of those guys who posts FUTURE MODS in their sig.
Regardless, be careful towing, and get a tranny cooler, at least.
HTH.

What size boat? As stated before, if it's over, or even up to 4000lbs, the trailer is going to be driving the XJ :scared:. Best to find a better tow vehicle. $.02

Rob

bgcntry72 said:
Twice a year I tow my 21 foot Sea Ray for about 25 miles, and the rig hates it.
I have stock gearing, 4", and 31" tires, and it pains me to tow at all.
The boat and tandem trailer weigh 4300 or so, and it sucks ass.
To be honest, the braking scares me more than the towing.
I would tell you I won't be unhappy next year, but then I'm just one of those guys who posts FUTURE MODS in their sig.
Regardless, be careful towing, and get a tranny cooler, at least.
HTH.

It's the stock gearing that makes you hate it :D. I pulled on my manual tranny with 4.11's and 31's a 3000lbs or so camping trailer (officially manual tranny has low tow raiting but I think it's due to poor stock gearing and people not knowing how to use a clutch :D) and the only time I hated it was on LOOOONG climbs (I couldn't hold 70mph and ended up at about 45mph on top).

Anyways, auto tranny is probably easier to live with while towing and as everyone else said get a tranny cooler, regear as needed and you will love it.

I used to flat tow a lifted Bronco II (about 4000 lbs and squirrely) with an XJ equipped with a stick, 3.07's and a 2" lift. We made the round trip to Moab (275 mi. each way) several times with this setup. This was on Highway 6, which is the worst highway I've ever driven, with deep ruts and potholes everywhere. Pulled it just fine in 4th gear, around 2500 RPM at 70 MPH. Still got around 16 MPG. My only real complaint was the weak brakes, but with trailer brakes it would be fine. It pulls my dad's 19.5' boat great. Pulls a trailer loaded with 4 ATV's and fuel just fine. BTW - mine's a '91 with the HO 4.0L and the puny Dana 35. Unless your boat is a sooper sooper heavy model, you should be fine. Just keep it out of overdrive and consider running an auxilliary trans cooler.

The reason that the manual trans models have a lower GVWR is the trans itself. It is not rated for as much torque as the auto. Suspensionwise, the auto and manual are identical. Just keep the 5 speed in 4th gear while towing and you're fine.

Jared:patriot:

I pull a 19.5 foot Sea Ray with a 1995 4.0 auto also. I'm the boat & trailer weigh approx 3500lbs. The drivetrain has no problems pulling the weight but the boat tends to make the ride a little squirrly. But my last boat (a 16 foot tri-hull) was hardly noticable. If I were looking for a great tow vehicle I would start looking for a clean full sise Grand Wagoneer. But I think the Cherokee is pretty darn good considering its size.

-Matt

Back