• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Easiest way to fill engine with coolant?

karter74

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, i got my new engine in and it runs, but i know it is not completely filled with coolant. Since the engine is brand new with 0 miles on it, it kinda runs warm because of all the new friction. When the engine gets warm and starts to build pressure and overflow from the catch can, when the engine cools it sucks the overflow tank dry. We have repeated the process but I am pretty sure there is still air in the head, as i can hear intermittant knocks (i am pretty sure its nothing serious as its not continuos, its kinda random) and the air is boiling in the head. How do you guys refill your system after it has been completely drained?

When I drained my engine, I refilled it by disconnecting the top radiator hose and pouring coolant in through that until it wouldnt take it anymore. That doesnt eliminate the air, it just allowed me to fill the radiator w/ fluid. To get the air out, park the ass end of the jeep uphill, get the jeep hot, and then unscrew the coolant temp. sender at the back of the head on the drivers side once the jeep has cooled down enough to keep the temp sender from shooting through your hood. Repeat until no more air escapes and fluid starts flow out. Good Luck.

Alex

I’ve had good luck just filling the reservoir and turning it on long enough to open the T-stat then let it cool and do it again like 6 times. Like you said it pulls in a bit more in each time.

Take off the radiator cap and turn the engine on, never fill the block with the engine off, possibility of cracking the block. Fill the radiator with coolant until its full, then using the throttle cable to the right of the head, increase the throttle. This causes the thermostat to open draining the radiator, continue filling the radiator, opening and relaxing the throttle until it starts to overflow, then with the throttle in so fluid disappears replace the cap and turn the engine off.

Boy did I just XXXX that up....the housing was leaking so I gave the lower bolt another turn and it is now stripped.....what am I going to do

any body know what the size and thread pitch is supposed to be on the lower bolt for the thermostat housing?

You are going to need a helicoil kit and some tapping fluid. Take the bolt to thee Hardwear store with you to get the right size kit.

Well the bolt is mangled and I think the threads in the hole can be saved. I just need to know the thread pitch so I can try and tap it

Then get a new bolt while you are there as well. You should beb able to match the pitch with one they have.

well thats the problem my bolt has no threads on it, so what I want to do is try to chase the original threads and get a bolt to match but I dont know what the thread pitch is.

Are the other bolts in the housing the same? Its strange for the bolt to be the part that strips.

well I think someone messed it up long before me. The bolt in the bottom ( the messed up one) is much larger than the one in the top. Dont get me wrong the threads in the head are bad but they might be able to be saved.

I dont know how but I posted this in the wrong thread...I thought I was posting in mine lol. Oh well

Back