• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement Starter Motor

XJ91

NAXJA Forum User
Could not find anything with search.

'91 Cherokee 4.0 Auto AW4....
I need to replace my starter...It is now taking up to 7 elephants before the engine revs on its own. Sometimes even dies after the first initial start up.

Should I get an OEM Starter Motor? or would a replacement from a Junkyard heep work as well? If a JY part would sufice, up to what year can I drop one in from?

Seven seconds to start up huh, does it turn over for the whole seven or does it take 7 seconds after turning the key for the starter to start spinning???
If it is turning over the whole time it's not the starter its the fuel pump, more specifically the check valve. Next time turn the key to on or where it normally sits when running, you should hear the fuel pump, and count to 10 then turn it the next notch to engage the starter, if it fires right up then it is the fuel pump repressurizing the fuel rail and system. Unfortunately the starter would have been cheaper, use a dealer OEM fuel pump, you will have to drop the tank which will start some arguments here but when my 98 was up on the lift I could find NO WAY to get my hand between the top of the tank and the floor of the cargo area let alone have enough room to snake a pump w/pickup in and out of there, maybe older models are different but not on mine.

RichP said:
Seven seconds to start up huh, does it turn over for the whole seven or does it take 7 seconds after turning the key for the starter to start spinning???
If it is turning over the whole time it's not the starter its the fuel pump, more specifically the check valve. Next time turn the key to on or where it normally sits when running, you should hear the fuel pump, and count to 10 then turn it the next notch to engage the starter, if it fires right up then it is the fuel pump repressurizing the fuel rail and system. Unfortunately the starter would have been cheaper, use a dealer OEM fuel pump, you will have to drop the tank which will start some arguments here but when my 98 was up on the lift I could find NO WAY to get my hand between the top of the tank and the floor of the cargo area let alone have enough room to snake a pump w/pickup in and out of there, maybe older models are different but not on mine.
It does turn over, and yes I do pre-pressurize the fuel system with turning the key to on, then to ignition.
This Check Valve??? Is that a single valve I can replace or is it integrated in with the fuel pump? And if it's the pump that I have to replace what $$$ figure am I looking at? roughly???
I've a '91 XJ, so would I have to drop the tank? 20 gallon

On the 98 the check valve is on the pump. It could also be your fuel pump is going also. I think they are around $250 or so. Have not bought one myself yet so I'm not sure.

Doubt it's any check valve. My '96 has a bad check valve, and won't hold any pressure overnight. It still fires up within 2 seconds, even sooner if it hasn't had time to depressurize. Most likely it's a bad battery/battery cables. Try jump starting it. If it starts faster you know it's one of those. The stock battery cables are barely good enough new, and if your cables 13 years old there's definately going to be alot of corrosion on them. I replaced the cables on my '90 with 2/0 welding cable and the starter turned noticeably faster.

ZmOz
I'll get the wifes grocery getter and give my heep a boost and see what happens.

I've toyed with idea of replacing the battery and cables, I sould give that a go first.

ThanX

Back