• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping in a lunchbox locker

woody

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
This is on a D30: Do ya "have to" pull the shafts out to swap a EZ for the open spiders?

Last time I did one, I had to haul the pinion & carrier out for new oil seals and I only removed an existing EZ from the carrier- did a spring/pin rebuild on the bench, & replaced...

This rig will get new rotors, so I'd be into it that far anyway - if I do that at the same time. 10 more bolts would get the axles & carrier loose :dunno: but I am lazy, these seals don't leak etc...

Yes, pull the axle shafts out, then pull the carrier out of the diff, remove the cross shaft, pull the gears out, insert locker and reassemble.

Scott Mac. said:
Yes, pull the axle shafts out, then pull the carrier out of the diff, remove the cross shaft, pull the gears out, insert locker and reassemble.

10/4 Thanks guys.

I had to pull the ring gear also!

youll need to pull the ring gear in most cases with gears over 4.10

I can't remember on 3.73's though.

be sure to torque the ring gear bolts to 55 lbft using locktite.
the caps get 60 lbft with LT.

Rawbrown said:
youll need to pull the ring gear in most cases with gears over 4.10

I can't remember on 3.73's though.

be sure to torque the ring gear bolts to 55 lbft using locktite.
the caps get 60 lbft with LT.

Needed to on my 3.55s. Though at that point they're so low that I just took a cutoff wheel and ground down a corner of the ring gear to get the cross shaft out. Took less time to do that than it would have to take one bearing cap out. :)

Back