• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door Won't Open From the Inside?

verrive

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys,
I've got a 1992 and my front passenger door won't open from the inside. It'll open fine from the outside. I have all the panels off and I am REALLY confused. When the handle is screwed on it sticks out halfway between the shut and closed position. Any help? I tried fooling around with it with no luck :(

- Kevin

I would assume the rod that go`s from the inside handle to the lock itself is either out of its hole, or bent...really depends- are you rebuilding one, is it OEm an just screwed up, is the rod the shape of a pretzel....

By far the easiest method I know of to cure an unknown door problem is to remove all the lock hardware, then look at what go`s where-regrease an reinstall.

It's bent some, how much should it be bent? To my knowledge what's in there is what it left the factory with.

- Kevin

Edit: I'm pretty sure it's not the one that goes from the lock to the side, it's the handle.

If you have the door panel off already, the first thing you should do is to pull on that rod with the inside handle loose from the door. If it unlatches, you know it's just the rod, and you can bend it until you get it right. If pulling freely on the rod doesn't open the door (and assuming it really is connected to the latch still) you have a latch problem. There are some plastic parts in the latch that can break, and there isn't much you can do about that except replace it, but it's worthwhile taking the whole latch assembly out and looking it over. Perhaps there's something bent or jammed that can be fixed.

Well I got a better look today because it wasn't raining. From what I could see when I pulled the handle on the inside the piece near the latch would turn, but wouldn't unlock the door if that makes sense. Looked around for anything broken but I couldn't see anything.

- Kevin

I bent the rod which I think somehow it got unbent and now the handle on the inside sits flush(er). When I pull the handle from the inside nothing happens. When I open the door from the outside it opens the door and the handle on the inside turns. What does that mean? It doesn't do that on my other door. I am still lost :p

- Kevin

I looked again and hopefully this makes some sense. When I pull the latch inside, this piece moves up, but it's maybe 1/4" away from the metal piece it needs to hit to unlock to the door. Was there a piece that connected these two or is it bent somehow?

Thanks,
Kevin

I had a similar problem...but that was because the frame was smashed and the door was binding. :shhh:

verrive said:
I looked again and hopefully this makes some sense. When I pull the latch inside, this piece moves up, but it's maybe 1/4" away from the metal piece it needs to hit to unlock to the door. Was there a piece that connected these two or is it bent somehow?

Thanks,
Kevin

not sure of the problem, but have you taken the panel off the other door to compare what the mechanisms should look like.

Back